Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Argiris Xiros 1 post 71 karma points
    May 17, 2019 @ 11:11
    Argiris Xiros

Index PDFs with Examine and PDFIndexer

Hello everyone

I need to create an index in Umbraco 8 in order to be able to search on PDF files.

I was able to create a new index without ExamineIndex.config the way it was mentioned in this post (thank you Ole Martin Bakke).

But there is no way to use PDFIndexer because it seems to be missing from Umbraco 8 despite the documentation. Also the UmbracoCms.UmbracoExamine.PDF nuget depends on UmbracoCms.Core (>= 6.0.0 && < 8.0.0).

Is there any other way for someone to index PDFs?

Thank you in advance!

• Keith McCormick 1 post 71 karma points
    Jul 08, 2019 @ 02:08
    Keith McCormick

Hey folks!

We are about to go live in 30 days on the new version of v8 of the great Umbraco!!!

We need to have the ability to search PDFs, however in v8 I can't get it to work. In v7 it was a piece of cake.

Does anyone have a solution for this quite yet?

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jul 08, 2019 @ 08:41
    Nik

Hey Keith,

It's possible to write your own index behaviour for PDF's which can then add the data to an examine index. I've done this recently for v8 and based my code heavily off of the CogWorks v7 package for indexing PDF's (and other documents).

The CogWorks project is here: https://github.com/thecogworks/examinefileindexer/tree/master/src/Cogworks.ExamineFileIndexer but as I mention its an Umbraco v7 package.

If you look at their MediaParser class you can see the code for extracting the data from media files, then it's a case of hooking into examine events and calling them.

To do this, you'll need a custom composer and component through which you'll hook into the TransformingIndexValues event to do the additional work.

Nik

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft