Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Aleksander 45 posts 205 karma points
    May 27, 2019 @ 14:35
    Aleksander

Custom Roleprovider in Umbraco 8 - Broken ?

Hi.

In my umbraco 8 solution, im trying to add my own roleprovider, as i've done many times before in Umbraco 7.

Using this as inspiration: https://24days.in/umbraco-cms/2015/extending-membership/

My Membership is hooked up just fine. But the Roleprovider seems to be broken in umbraco 8.

When i try to add role based access to a node, or simply inspect the Member Groups in the Members tab - no groups show up.

I've verified that the Roles.Provider is indeed set to my custom one during startup. The Constructor is also called. But GetAllRoles are never called when i inspec member groups nor when i try to assign groupbased access..

Did any of you guys play with the RoleProvder in Umbraco 8 ?

Here's my code if anyone's intrested:

public class SpiderMembershipUmbracoRoleProvider : RoleProvider 
    {

public override string ApplicationName { get => "spider"; set => throw new NotImplementedException(); }

public SpiderMembershipUmbracoRoleProvider()
            {
                Console.WriteLine("TEST");
            }

public override string[] GetAllRoles() { return new string[] { "SpiderUsers" }; }
            public override bool IsUserInRole(string username, string roleName)
            {
                if (roleName.ToLower() == "spiderusers")
                    return true;
                else
                    return false;
            }

public override string[] GetRolesForUser(string username)
            {
                return new[] { "SpiderUsers" };
            }

public override void CreateRole(string roleName)
            {
                throw new NotImplementedException();
            }

public override bool DeleteRole(string roleName, bool throwOnPopulatedRole)
            {
            }

public override bool RoleExists(string roleName)
            {
            }

public override void AddUsersToRoles(string[] usernames, string[] roleNames)
            {
            }

public override void RemoveUsersFromRoles(string[] usernames, string[] roleNames)
            {
            }

public override string[] GetUsersInRole(string roleName)
            {
            }

public override string[] FindUsersInRole(string roleName, string usernameToMatch)
            {
            }
    }

And my web config:

<membership defaultProvider="UmbracoMembershipProvider" userIsOnlineTimeWindow="15">
            <providers>
                <clear />
                <add name="UmbracoMembershipProvider" type="Company.Core.Members.SpiderMembershipProvider, Company.Core" minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="0" minRequiredPasswordLength="10" useLegacyEncoding="false" enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="false" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false" defaultMemberTypeAlias="Member" passwordFormat="Hashed" allowManuallyChangingPassword="false" />
                <add name="UsersMembershipProvider" type="Umbraco.Web.Security.Providers.UsersMembershipProvider, Umbraco.Web" />
            </providers>
        </membership>
        <!-- Role Provider -->
        <roleManager enabled="true" defaultProvider="UmbracoRoleProvider">
            <providers>
                <clear />
                <add name="UmbracoRoleProvider" type="Company.Core.Members.SpiderMembershipUmbracoRoleProvider, Company.Core" />
            </providers>
        </roleManager>

Empty Member groups

May 28, 2019 @ 09:17
    Aleksander

This morning i decided to add the source code for Umbraco.Web to my project.

I modified the default implementation of MemberRoleProvider - adding a "test" role to the GetAllRoles default implementation.

This change wasn't noticable in the backoffice either, so it seems like it doesn't even use the MemberRoleProvider anylonger.

Anyone has a clue which API is being called when umbraco gets the Member roles ?

May 28, 2019 @ 14:36
    Aleksander

Okay so i found the correct way to do it in Umbraco 8.

I needed to Implement my own IMemberGroupService.

Then During Compose in a IUserComposer i could call:

composition.RegisterUnique<IMemberGroupService, SpiderGroupService>();

now my custom usergroups shows up.

• Matthew 2 posts 22 karma points
    Sep 17, 2019 @ 19:55
    Matthew

Can you point me at a working solution please?

Umbraco is generally superb, but I do hate custom membership providers

Sep 18, 2019 @ 06:41
    Aleksander

the solution actually is right there in the comment.

Create a class implementing IMemberGroupService and then create a class implementing IUserComposer and in that class's compose method make the above method call.

just note that this is a soltion i made work on umbraco 8.0.1 i think, which is actually a hack - it was not intended to work this way, so hopefully it will be, or has been fixed (Didnt check up on it since may)

• gll 1 post 71 karma points
    Nov 22, 2019 @ 20:52
    gll

I try do this on Umbraco 8.3. It doesn't work when i try to setup Public Access for pages. List of groups is empty. But there are groups in Members/Member Groups. What should i do?

• Christian Bekker Andersen 14 posts 103 karma points c-trib
    Aug 20, 2020 @ 13:55
    Christian Bekker Andersen

I had the same issue, with it not showing under "Publiv access". Turned out that your MembershipProvider has to inherit from UmbracoMembershipProviderBase. Else it willl return an empty list.

https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/blob/1eb0c93e053781cc48f801a878dee3609d92bc71/src/Umbraco.Web/Editors/MemberGroupController.cs#L121

• limin 27 posts 149 karma points
    Sep 17, 2021 @ 16:19
    limin

Hi I have the exact same issue that it calls "Initialize" but doesn't call "GetAllRoles" in my custom role provider, I tried your solution "implementing IMemberGroupService", but I don't understand what is the relation between your "SpiderGroupService" and your "SpiderMembershipUmbracoRoleProvider", can you please share more code? Thanks

• Chris Spanellis 45 posts 189 karma points
    Oct 21, 2020 @ 15:23
    Chris Spanellis

Hi,

I am using Auth0 for authentication with UmbracoIdentity, and I want to use my own data store for users and roles (basically bypass Umbraco's built-in member logic all together).

I have the authentication piece as well as the IMemberService and IMemberGroupService pieces working so everything seems to be coming from my custom classes. However, I also made a custom MembershipProbvider, which inherits from MembersMembershipProvider, in order to inject custom implementations of IMembershipMemberService and IMemberTypeService.

I'm unsure if my own MembershipProvider is needed, or do I just need to register those custom implementations in my IUserComposer, and the standard IdentityEnabledMembersMembershipProvider will suffice?

• jackjen 2 posts 71 karma points
    Feb 22, 2022 @ 15:35
    jackjen

When i pulled in the Umbraco. Web source code it was working again, during this i had only implemented our own RoleProvider, which shouldn't affect anything - so i guess it was just a brief bug

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft