Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Arun 5 posts 85 karma points
    Jun 11, 2019 @ 05:34
    Arun

Umbraco 8 - Create new document Type - Error in IE 11

Hi, I have downloaded the Umbraco 8 version and hosted as simple site. While managing the umbraco cms backoffice, I am trying to create a new document type and I am getting an error in IE browser console.

TypeError: Object doesn't support property or method 'find' at checkIfTemplateExists

Trying to add a property to the new document type, the editing window on right does not pop out. Got the below error message in console

TypeError: Object doesn't support property or method 'entries'

But, everything seems to work fine in firefox.

Since IE is being used as primary browser in our enterprise, I would like to know more about the issue and try to fix it. Any help would be appreciated on identifying on IE error message.

Thanks in advance.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jun 11, 2019 @ 05:43
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Arun and welcome to the forum :-)

With the release of Umbraco V8 the supported browsers no longer include IE11 - You can see a list of supported browsers here https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Requirements/

I'm not sure how big a change it would be to make this part work in IE11 though if that's currently the only thing not working as expected. But I suspect that more issues will arise during that journey.

You can of course try and spend time doing a pull request to the core but I'm not sure if it will be time well spent since IE11 is not on the list of supported browsers.

/Jan

• Arun 5 posts 85 karma points
    Jun 11, 2019 @ 07:31
    Arun

Thanks Jan. I didn't notice the supported browser section.

If I change to Umbraco version 7.14, then it shouldn't be a issue, right? Any idea on how long the older versions would be supported or is it safe to create a new site using previous version now?

Any help on highlighting the support for Umbraco 7 in near future. will it get deprecated soon?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jun 13, 2019 @ 18:25
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Arun

Sorry about the late reply - For some reason the Umbraco e-mails started to end up in my spam folder :-/.

No Umbraco 7.x should work on IE11 - But I have not been using IE11 for many years so I have not opened the backoffice in it. But you should be able to make a quick install using the starter kit and click around and see if things work as expected in IE11.

Umbraco 7.15 will be the last release of Umbraco 7 but if any critical security issues are found I'm sure patches will be released. That's how it's been when some issues have been discovered in Umbraco 4 and 6 - So I'm sure it will continue if something is found in v7 - But new features and improvements will stop with the release of 7.15.

I have seen the timeline but now I can't seem to find it or remember it - But but if you buy Umbraco support v7 will still be supported for 2 years, maybe even 3 unless I remember it wrong.

Personally I think I would go with Umbraco 8.1 when it's released and see if those making the decisions about the primary browser in your company can be convinced it's time to consider using Edge, Firefox or Chrome - I know it may not be an easy task and that there are some very valid reasons to keep using IE11. But maybe it's worth giving it a shot if you have not done so already :-)

Let me know if there is more I can do for you!

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft