Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Vaggelis Kasapis 3 posts 73 karma points
    Jun 12, 2019 @ 13:48
    Vaggelis Kasapis

Examine Leading Wildcard

Hello everyone, Is there any way to enable leading wildcards in examine in umbraco 8?

• Anton Oosthuizen 206 posts 486 karma points
    Jun 26, 2019 @ 12:48
    Anton Oosthuizen

Hey did you manage to find a solution?

Jun 26, 2019 @ 16:31
    Vaggelis Kasapis

No man. I didn't please let me know if you find one.

• Anton Oosthuizen 206 posts 486 karma points
    Jun 27, 2019 @ 06:14
    Anton Oosthuizen

No documentation on this but the work around was putting the wildcards in the search term *searchterm*

• Markus Johansson 1911 posts 5757 karma points MVP c-trib
    Jul 11, 2019 @ 15:49
    Markus Johansson

Hi Guys!

Just figured I'll share the solution that I came up with. As far as I understand the the abstractions used in Examine don't exponse the configuration in a obvious way (probably for some good reason), so we need to do some casting before we can set the AllowLeadingWildcard-setting.

We can do this in two ways,

Either by casting the ISearcher from the .GetSearcher()-method to BaseLuceneSearcher which exposes a .CreateQuery()-method that takes the LuceneSearchOptions():

var index = ExamineManager.Instance.Indexes.Where(f => f.Name == "ExternalIndex").FirstOrDefault();
    var searcher = (BaseLuceneSearcher)index.GetSearcher();
    var query = searcher.CreateQuery("content", BooleanOperation.And, searcher.LuceneAnalyzer, new LuceneSearchOptions() { AllowLeadingWildcard = true });

Or by casting the query:

var index = ExamineManager.Instance.Indexes.Where(f => f.Name == "ExternalIndex").FirstOrDefault();
    var searcher = index.GetSearcher();

var query = (LuceneSearchQueryBase)searcher.CreateQuery("content");
    query.QueryParser.AllowLeadingWildcard = true;

This will allow the leading wild card in the terms which is the first thing we need to do.

Next we can create a IExamineValue that contains the leading wildcard, one might think something like this would work:

query.And().Field("nodeName", "*term*");

But in the processing of the string the *-s will be stripped out in the generated lucene-query so we have two options here as well:

Use the .MultipleCharacterWildcard() string extension and making sure that the string we pass contains the leading *

var value = "*" + "term"; // leading wildcard and term
    query.And().Field("nodeName", value.MultipleCharacterWildcard());

Or pass a IExamineValue for the fieldValue to create "your own" IExamineValue:

query.And().Field("nodeName", new ExamineValue(Examineness.ComplexWildcard, "*term*"));

Hope my little research on the topics helps to clearify =D

Jul 11, 2019 @ 16:41
    Vaggelis Kasapis

Thanks for the detailed response Markus i will try it and i ll let you know for the results.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft