Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• dantiago 11 posts 112 karma points
    Jun 15, 2019 @ 10:41
    dantiago

Setting up Umbraco as separate front/back end in Azure

Hi everyone,

I've got a requirement to set up Umbraco in Azure. I've read the Azure Web Apps documentation which led me on to the Load Balancing documentation and eventually the Flexible Load Balancing documentation.

It's quite clear through the documentation that the recommended setup is to have separate Azure App Services for the front and back end, both pointing to a single Azure SQL database.

The bit I feel is missing is the part that actually explains how this is wired up. How does the front end Azure App Service know that it is only responsible for the front end? How is it configured so that back end access not available?

I've read the Advanced Load Balancing Techniques documentation but I don't really understand how this works. It talks about executing some of the code on the master server and some on the replica servers. Does this mean two different code bases for the front/back-end?

I can very easily create two App Services and deploy the Umbraco website to both of them but I'm not clear on how to make each of them aware of their responsibilities and put in place the infrastructure to create this separation.

If it's explained in the documentation somewhere, please feel free to point me towards it because I haven't been able to find it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

• John Bergman 483 posts 1132 karma points
    Jun 17, 2019 @ 07:09
    John Bergman

I believe your master server is typically the 'backoffice' server you seek, that is where you would make all of the content updates that get propagated to the other servers.

There is a setting in the load balancing configuration that lets you set which server is the master.; at least for Umbraco 7, I've not worked with 8 in that type of a setup yet.

• dantiago 11 posts 112 karma points
    Jun 17, 2019 @ 12:37
    dantiago

I think the configuration you are talking about is referenced here.

This is now the legacy load balancing setup guide and is not recommended for Umbraco 8.

Furthermore, the Flexible Load Balancing documentation states:

You must not enable the distributed calls flag in the umbracoSettings.config file for Flexible Load Balancing to work, that is purely for Traditional load balancing.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft