Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Simon Dingley 1470 posts 3427 karma points c-trib
    Jul 05, 2019 @ 11:28
    Simon Dingley

Custom Front-end Login without using Members Feature

I have a requirement to provide a custom authentication method for part of a new v8 site but we really don't want or need to integrate with the member's area. In fact, we very much want to keep user data out of this area.

We just want to authenticate a user via a custom datasource and then use the logged in session in relevant areas of the site. All data relating to the user will be retrieved from an external source.

What is the best way to go about this now in v8?

• Søren Kottal 702 posts 4497 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Jul 08, 2019 @ 13:41
    Søren Kottal

Hi Simon

Maybe you can replace the default MemberProvider (check this article out - halfway through it describes how to do it, https://24days.in/umbraco-cms/2015/extending-membership/).

That way you can have your members data externally, but still be able to use them in Umbraco.

• Simon Dingley 1470 posts 3427 karma points c-trib
    Jul 24, 2019 @ 11:49
    Simon Dingley

Thanks Søren.

I don't really need the Umbraco Membership features but have looked at a custom membership provider which kind of works. The problem is that the service I am integrating with will not allow me to implement many of the features of a standard Membership provider.

I've seen the UmbracoIdentity project which looks interesting but seems a bit of an overkill for my requirement.

I've also attempted to implement basic FormsAuthentication which worked to a point. I was trying to store some additional user data in a custom IPrinciple but then started to run into trouble because it destroyed any back-office session I might have so am potentially backtracking on this now.

I'm not sure if I'm now overthinking this. What I need is fairly basic:

• Authenticate a front-end user against an external service
    • Maintain a logged in session
    • Access to a few basic pieces of user information returned by the login process so that I don't have to keep hitting the service all the time. But more importantly, this information is only returned at the point of authentication.

Cheers, Simon

• Dennis 75 posts 397 karma points MVP
    Apr 26, 2022 @ 12:26
    Dennis

Hi Simon!

I was wondering if you had found a solution for this? I'm currently running into a similar problem. My accounts and login are provided by a third party and I need to authenticate my users against them and return some secure token to the frontend that they can use to access my secured api endpoints.

Hope to hear from you!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft