Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Emil Schoelzer Schnohr 23 posts 143 karma points
    Aug 13, 2019 @ 09:51
    Emil Schoelzer Schnohr

UmbracoApiController not using correct culture (item.Name always using default language)

I am trying to make a basic page search function, where I have made a webapi controller (UmbracoApiController) to make an AJAX call for, that returns a list of pages which name matches the search value.

Problem is that the webapi doesn't seem to know what culture is being used. So i pass in the culture as a string along with the root node id, so I can easily start searching through descendants whos name matches the input value.

public List<SearchResult> Search(string value = "", int? rootId = null, string culture = "en-US")
    {
        // When debugging I can see this sets the culture to en-US as expected
        Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentUICulture = new CultureInfo(culture);
        Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentCulture = new CultureInfo(culture);

List<SearchResult> results = new List<SearchResult>();

var root = (rootId != null ? Umbraco.Content(rootId) : Umbraco.ContentAtRoot().First().Children.First());          

// root.Descendants correctly loops through the published items for the specified culture, which is "en-US"
        foreach (var item in root.Descendants(culture).Where(x => x.Name.ToLower().Contains(value.ToLower()) && x.IsVisible() && !string.IsNullOrEmpty(x.GetTemplateAlias())).Take(7))
        {
            SearchResult model = new SearchResult();
            model.PageName = item.Name; // Name is always using the default culture "da-DK", but I want something like item.Name(culture)

model.Url = item.Url(culture); // I can easily get URL for the culture
            model.Parent = "";

if (item.Level > 2)
            {
                model.Parent = item.Parent.Name; // Again, this name is also using the default culture "da-DK" but the culture is set to "en-US"
            }

results.Add(model);
        }

return results;
    }

That it doesn't automatically use the right culture is fine, I just need to know if there is a way I can get the culture-specific item.Name just like I can say "item.Url(culture)" and "item.Value("propertyAlias", culture)".

• Tom Madden 252 posts 454 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Aug 13, 2019 @ 12:53
    Tom Madden

Which version of Umbraco 8 are you using? This changed a lot between 8.0 and 8.1

Aug 13, 2019 @ 13:44
    Emil Schoelzer Schnohr

I'm on version 8.1.1

• Tom Madden 252 posts 454 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Aug 13, 2019 @ 15:25
    Tom Madden

You can say item.Name("en-US") to specify a culture , you need to include using Umbraco.Core as it's an extension method which allow passing in a culture string.

regards t

Aug 14, 2019 @ 06:36
    Emil Schoelzer Schnohr

Awesome, thanks!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft