Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Peter Laurie 42 posts 116 karma points
    Aug 19, 2019 @ 12:46
    Peter Laurie

Content Migration from v7.15.1 to v8.1.1

Hi, I am trying to migrate a small to medium page website from v7.15.1 to v8.1.1 using the new migration tool, before I copy over an classes, models and surface controllers etc. So far my efforts have been in vain.

I have followed the instructions on this page: https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Upgrading/migrating-to-v8 this included clearing the version history from pages. I have also deleted extra tables added when we tried out SEO Checker. Also deleted tables fullTextCache and icUrlTracker.

I have increased the timeout as a few sites suggest, but I am still not able to upgrade the database, the progress bar on the Umbraco splash page was left for up to ten minutes before we gave up and refreshed the site.

How long does the upgrade usually take, and anyone who has done a few successful upgrades now, from 7 to 8, please can you pass on some tips.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Peter

• Jim 17 posts 60 karma points
    Aug 20, 2019 @ 21:14
    Jim

Hi Peter. I've been working on migrating also. All of my issues are around the database. My app has been around a long time and I think the upgrades from version-to-version hasn't handled index changes. First of all the site was originally SQL CE, then upgraded to SQL Server a few years ago.

This process helped me get identify issues:

1. update project and migrate to lastest v7 version - 7.15.2 (as of today)
    2. create a new 7.15.2 site with a new SQL database
    3. download Red-Gate sql-compare (15 day trial) and compare the two database schemas and optionally make the migrated database schema the same as the fresh schema. Mine had dozens of differences - indexes with different names, missing constraints, etc.

Hope that helps!

• Ben Norman 167 posts 276 karma points
    Aug 20, 2019 @ 22:06
    Ben Norman

I had to update all the datatypes to the new Umbraco.(DataType)2 datatypes first. That happened in v7.6 or so.

Then I had to write a routine that would loop through all the content to convert some of the custom data types back to the default data types. Settle in for a long slog, its not going to be easy.

Then I followed the upgrade instructions.

Then I had to convert the code to use strongly typed data as much as possible and update the other changes to the interface like .Site() to .Root() and .TypedContent to .Content().

Upgrading was a bit involved. But I could do it again I reckon. I wouldn't want to but I could.

• Peter Laurie 42 posts 116 karma points
    Aug 21, 2019 @ 12:58
    Peter Laurie

Hi all, Thank you for your replies and thoughts concerning migration solutions. Any more replies and insights would be most welcome. Our website is not that large, we are tending to think that perhaps it might be quicker, give us a cleaner code base, and hand copy over the templates and document types. We may spend days and days going down rabbit holes to find the correct method, for our website, to migrate our database to v8, and by that time we could of copied all the pages and content across. Kind regards, Pete

• Shaishav Karnani from digitallymedia.com 354 posts 1638 karma points
    Aug 21, 2019 @ 13:38
    Shaishav Karnani from digitallymedia.com

Hi Peter,

I have a small site on v7.15 and will try to upgrade it and see the issues. We have done earlier v4 to v6 to v7 migrations and v7 version upgrades. All has worked fine.

So, Umbraco HQ must have not made it too complex for migration.

However, you are right for small sites it could be good idea to do a fresh code written on v8. Just being pragmatic where required and saving time!

I will get back to you on how it goes with us.

Regards,

Shaishav

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft