Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• john blair 48 posts 219 karma points
    Sep 03, 2019 @ 15:23
    john blair

IScopeProvider is polluting my application - help

I've migrated my plugin from v7 to v8 of umbraco. One of the really annoying things that I had to update my repositories to inject an IScopeProvider to access the database.

e.g.

public BooksRepository(IScopeProvider scopeProvider)
        {
            this.scopeProvider = scopeProvider;
        }

Now, this was fine within my backoffice plugin as the umbraco injector would provide the scopeprovider when required.

However, I also want to use the repository in my front end razor templates - which now need a scopeProvider and there is no way to inject it.

@{
    EcBooksSection booksection = Model;

Html.RequiresCss("~/styles/css/booksSection.css");
    Html.RequiresJs("~/scripts/ec/booksSection.js");
    var booksRepository = new BooksRepository( scopeProvider  required - WTF?);
    var books = booksRepository.GetAll();

The real problem is I don't want to inject this scopeProvider - this is umbraco framework noise that I don't want to deal with in my application - why can't a static instance of the Database be available like it was in v7 that could just be used internally within the repository and not poluute my application?

Also why am i having to work with a scopeprovider - assuming its transaction related - as I don't need a transaction when I do read only operations from the database? Data access seems very badly designed in v8.

Given, if I have to work with this scopeProvider how do i make this available in my razor templates in .net framework v4.7.2? Note: This is not .net core so the @inject directive is not available.

Thanks.

• john blair 48 posts 219 karma points
    Sep 03, 2019 @ 15:53
    john blair

I decided to refactor my repository to avoid exposing IScopeProvider on my front end templates.

I now use the following to get an instance of the Database

public Book Create(Book item)
        {
            using (var scope = Current.ScopeProvider.CreateScope(autoComplete: true))
            {
                scope.Database.Insert(item);
            }
            return item;
        }

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft