Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Biagio Paruolo 1594 posts 1825 karma points c-trib
    Sep 04, 2019 @ 10:00
    Biagio Paruolo

New projects: Going to 7.15.x or 8.1.x

Hi,

I've to start to project on Umbraco, one big and must be stable and one small. My opinion is go on 7.15 for the big one and v8 for the small because I made some test on v8 and I see some troubles on Model class like error on FirstOrDefault or some Linq query and the same errors returned by v8 starter kit or some packages and lack of important packages like Merchello or similar on 8. Your opinions?

• Asembli 81 posts 255 karma points
    Sep 04, 2019 @ 10:08
    Asembli

Hi,

Depends also which plugins/custom-code you will use/need. We would like to go to 8, but found that some essential plugins (essential for us!) have not been created/converted to 8.

My advice is to check precisely what plugins you’ll need to and if they work with 8. And if they - then of course go with 8.

Regards,

/Asembli

Sep 06, 2019 @ 05:45
    Biagio Paruolo

Hi,

I already did this check and I found a bad results -:). So I'll go to on the secure 7 track for the big and stable project.

• Shaishav Karnani from digitallymedia.com 354 posts 1638 karma points
    Sep 06, 2019 @ 06:06
    Shaishav Karnani from digitallymedia.com

Hi,

If I would have been you then also choosen v7 over v8 for fairly large projects. Till I complete few small/medium projects on v8 and it is stable.

Right now, core has few bugs and that will get fixed in few more releases. So, give it one more quarter.

But I would also restrict myself to overly use plugins on v7 with an eye to move to v8 soon.

Regards,

Shaishav

Sep 12, 2019 @ 05:37
    Biagio Paruolo

Thanks.

• Shaishav Karnani from digitallymedia.com 354 posts 1638 karma points
    Sep 12, 2019 @ 06:49
    Shaishav Karnani from digitallymedia.com

Hi,

We have been building on v8 now and apart from few minor problems didnot found anything major that can be show stopper. So, I will now more inclined towards 8.1.4

Are you using plugins heavily that are not on v8?

Cheers,

Shaishav

Sep 12, 2019 @ 14:39
    Biagio Paruolo

I'll try again with 8. I was scared because also the standard Umbraco starter kit don't work on it. I'll use one of two Umbraco Forms alternative like Formulate / Form editor and I use Merchello.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft