Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Keith 74 posts 240 karma points
    Aug 05, 2021 @ 14:51
    Keith

The correct way to add properties to member types

Hi All,

Sorry if these are obvious questions, but I just wanted to make sure before I start to put time into the build.

I am migrating an existing custom built non-cms site over to umbraco 9. So far so good with all the basic stuff, but we are now about to start work on migrating the existing members and their profiles over to become umbraco members.

My questions are:

• If I need more advanced profile attributes than strings, numbers, images etc... should I start creating "document types" to represent these objects and assign them to members using blocklists? My actual examples are a little complicated to explain, but as a basic example, say each member has one or more "Cars" that are unique to them. Each car having a model, colour, weight, engine capacity etc... Should I create a "Car" element document type and add a blocklist property to the member type that contains a list of cars? I ask because I wonder are there any implications of linking member types and document types in this way (caching, data retrieval, publishing etc).

• The existing site I am migrating has over 300k members and is growing every year. In a few years it could be >500k. I'm pretty sure Umbraco can handle this number of members as I have read on other discussions. But would this number of members have any issues if I extend the member types in the way described above?

Many thanks for any help you can offer

Aug 05, 2021 @ 16:29
    Keith

OK, the blocklist does not work on Member Types. When I add one, I get an error in the console and a continuously loading property:

Could not find umbVariantContent in the $scope chain

So how is this supposed to be done in Umbraco? Adding more than basic type properties to a Member?

Aug 05, 2021 @ 17:00
  • Albertha 2 posts 71 karma points
    Aug 06, 2021 @ 07:29
    Albertha

Thanks for this information !!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft