Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mark Sommer 15 posts 105 karma points
    Aug 09, 2021 @ 06:35
    Mark Sommer

Looking for a way to programmatically change property values

Hey all.

I'm brand new to Umbraco and I'm currently working on creating my first website.

I've been looking around to try and find a solution to my issue but I realize I might not know what I'm actualy looking for so I hope someone can help me here.

I have this string that I'm displaying ex: 'Hello {USERNAME}'. This string is set up from a property in the backoffice/Model and I'm trying to figure out how to change it through my code since I want to replace the {USERNAME}.

The actual data I want to replace the {USER_NAME} comes from and API/external system.

So far it doesnt seem like I change the value directly through the Model (Model.WelcomeText) and I had a look at contentservice aswell but I dont want to save/publish since I dont want to change the original string in the base.

• Lewis Smith 208 posts 617 karma points c-trib
    Aug 09, 2021 @ 08:23
    Lewis Smith

Hey Mark,

Welcome to the Umbraco world!

To update a value, you can use the ContentService. You can find all the information here: https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Reference/Management/Services/ContentService/

You should be able to use the SetValue method, passing in the target property name and the new value.

private readonly IContentService _contentService;

public MyClass(IContentService contentService)
    {
        _contentService = contentService;
    }

Usage:

var c =_contentService.SetValue("welcomeText", "new value");
    _contentService.Save(c);

Let me know if you need anything else!

Lewis

Aug 09, 2021 @ 10:08
    Mark Sommer

Thanks for the quick reply.

I did stumple across this option but being new to Umbraco I wasnt sure how to use it.

As stated previously I dont want to save/publish the changed content so is this still viable? Also since I want to change some content in a nested content data type how would you go about rendering the changed content in the view/template?

Extra question: is it possible to use the Translation/Dictionary items in the Content page setup? enter image description here

• Kevin T Reynolds 15 posts 158 karma points
    Aug 09, 2021 @ 21:33
    Kevin T Reynolds

You want the handlebars replaced in your view?

If the model is returning that string on the WelcomeText property just do a string.Replace in your view. Something like

string userName = SomeSevice.GetTheUsername();
    <div "my-welcome-text">@Model.WelcomeText.Replace("{USERNAME}", userName)</div>

Aug 10, 2021 @ 11:22
    Mark Sommer

Hey Kevin

Thanks a bunch. This actualy gave me a great idea on how to make a solution, although I dont know if its "best practice".

I make a function in which I can pass my string (Model property) and api data to then merge them and return the merged string.

• Kevin T Reynolds 15 posts 158 karma points
    Aug 10, 2021 @ 15:57
    Kevin T Reynolds

That should work just fine, I think best practice would probably be create a custom view model that interacts with a service and returns the calculated property to this view.

https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Implementation/Services/#using-the-siteservice-inside-a-view

but that might be overkill for this one property

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft