Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Aditya 24 posts 128 karma points
    Sep 06, 2021 @ 15:42
    Aditya

Help creating a Umbraco 9 website with a custom .NET Core app

I used Umbraco before (v 7) to build some sites, but eventually transitioned away from hosting on Windows and left Umbraco. I enjoyed working on Umbraco as a CMS, but the hosting story was not something I wanted to deal with for my small business.

Now that v 9 is close to release, and it's possible to host it entirely on Linux, I'd like to revisit Umbraco.

Here's the situation:

I have a small consulting business that uses Wordpress for the website, along with a bunch of custom Javascript that I wrote. The wordpress site works fine and I'm the only person that logs into the backend.

However, I'm thinking of creating a "Client" area where my clients can log in (to the website, not Wordpress), upload certain documents, fill out various forms, track progress, etc. I usually have 3-5 clients a month so it's nothing too intense.

I've created a test app in ASP.Net Core. It's working fine and I can continue to build on it. However, I don't want to run a Wordpress CMS frontend and then bolt on an app on a subdomain - I'd rather have it look and feel seamless for my clients, and carry the same CSS theme through. I could of course manually keep the CSS in sync, but over time that's a pain.

Instead, I'd like to use Umbraco 9. My vision is

1. Umbraco CMS manages all the CMS-type content - blog posts, site pages, and so on. Making it super easy for me to log in and write a blog post or a new site page, add images, embed a video maybe - all the stuff Wordpress is really good at, and Umbraco as well. I know I can do this on Umbraco and I've done it before so that's not an issue

2. My custom app is somehow integrated into Umbraco so that the look and theme carry through. I do not need to build anything custom on the Umbraco Backoffice - I can manage the app inside Visual Studio and I have no requirement for other people to log in and do anything on the back office.

3. Umbraco's authentication is separate from my app - on Umbraco, I would only have one user (me) to log in and update content once in a while. My app has its own login flow using ASP.net Identity and the two don't need to mix.

4. For the database, I could have separate databases for Umbraco and my app (if possible), or preferably combine the two into one DB. My app uses a few tables and isn't super performance intensive so it's not likely to slow Umbraco down.

Ideally, I end up with one unified CMS+App and one DB that I can easily back up and restore if needed.

I know this is possible to do, but I'd love to know some best practices, get a book recommendation, a pointer to a tutorial blog post, or any advice from more experienced members of the community.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft