Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Liam Foot 3 posts 83 karma points
    Sep 29, 2021 @ 14:28
    Liam Foot

Are you planning a more detailed 8 to 9 upgrade guide?

Hi, just wondering if you are planning a more detailed upgrade guide from v8 to v9, or if I am to just take the current guidelines, create a new project on v9, and just work file by file to convert things.

Just to give an example, when I did the 7 to 8 upgrade, I found that some of my page URLs were changed. Specifically it seemed that numbers within URLs could be hyphenated, e.g. I had a URL containing "23" that changed to "2-3". I believe this is because the page title contained "2.3", and Umbraco decided to hyphenate that on v8, but not on v7.

Just looking to see if you will have a more specific guide of things to be aware of, and if so I will wait for it.

I also just want to say that it's awesome to see Umbraco moving to .NET 5, and great to see that the Doc Type Grid Editor has day one support this time.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Sep 30, 2021 @ 08:42
    Sebastiaan Janssen

The URLs changed from 7 to 8 because the default in UmbracoSettings.config changed, so copying over the old config values would've helped there.

We're working on guides on how to update your code etc.

There will be subtle changes here and there probably but we also don't know exactly where, for example we recently discovered this: https://twitter.com/Shazwazza/status/1437842495627403265

That made it difficult to use Umbraco with the Swedish culture for example.

But other than that, we've tried to keep the same default settings, but we likely missed something along the way.

So I think the answer to your specific question might just be "Maybe?" 😅

• Liam Foot 3 posts 83 karma points
    Sep 30, 2021 @ 12:31
    Liam Foot

Oh nice, thanks a lot, I'll add that config change to my notes.

It seems that with the 7 to 8 upgrade, it was not until 8.1 that more resources became available.

I look forward to the guides you mentioned and thanks for responding.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft