Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Brad Wickett 43 posts 124 karma points
    Oct 05, 2021 @ 16:06
    Brad Wickett

Custom BackOffice Authentication Provider for Version 9

I am looking to upgrade our current 8.16.0 instance to version 9. We are currently authenticating to the BackOffice using a custom OWIN provider I wrote to authenticate against Active Directory using LDAP. I did this with a custom OwinStartup configured in Web.Config that overrides the default IBackOfficeUserPasswordChecker. I haven't seen any examples of how to do this in version 9 yet. Any examples or details that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

• Lasse Brosolat Johansen 5 posts 85 karma points
    Mar 02, 2022 @ 10:07
    Lasse Brosolat Johansen

Hi Brad,

Did you find a solution? I'm looking for something similar.

Br Lasse

Mar 02, 2022 @ 14:04
    Brad Wickett

No one ever responded to this so we had to move to a different type of authentication. I was really hoping to keep using LDAP but I just didn't know how to get it working. I ended up using OpenId to integrate with our authentication.

• Dhanesh Kumar MJ 158 posts 511 karma points c-trib
    Mar 03, 2022 @ 07:17
    Dhanesh Kumar MJ

Hi All,

I think here it is External Login Providers ;)

Regards
    Dhanesh Kumar MJ

Mar 03, 2022 @ 14:05
    Brad Wickett

No, that is what I ended up using, but not what I was looking for. I was looking for how to override the built-in login like we used to be able to do so I could use the built-in login form but authenticate that username and password against LDAP. You use to be able to override the built-in IBackOfficeUserPasswordChecker. I've not found anything about how to do that in version 9. I ended up using an OpenId provider.

• Lasse Brosolat Johansen 5 posts 85 karma points
    Mar 03, 2022 @ 07:42
    Lasse Brosolat Johansen

Hello Brad and Dhanesh,

Thank you 😊👍

I ended up using Azure AD...

Br Lasse

• Pablo 7 posts 76 karma points
    Apr 06, 2022 @ 13:37
    Pablo

Hi Brad, I need the same as you. I managed to use AD authentication on Umbraco 8, using LDAP, but how can I do it in Umbraco 9? Did you find any solution?

• Mark Slade 48 posts 109 karma points
    Apr 29, 2022 @ 08:38
    Mark Slade

Hi Pablo,

Did you ever find a solution to authenticate with Azure AD?

I am creating an internal intranet where I want to authenticate the users (Umrbaco Members) against Azure AD.

Mark

Apr 06, 2022 @ 15:35
    Brad Wickett

No, I was never able to get any information about creating a custom login provider like we could do in previous versions. Instead, I went with an OpenId provider as we use Okta for authentication at our university.

• Michal 4 posts 74 karma points
    Sep 20, 2022 @ 12:09
    Michal

Is there a solution in version 9 or 10 to work with LDAP like we did in 8? Use IBackOfficeUserPasswordChecker but disable Umbraco's built-in check in the umbracousers table. The postLogin service now returns me ERROR 400

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft