Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• MB 273 posts 936 karma points
    Oct 09, 2021 @ 12:42
    MB

Migrating Umbraco 8 to 9

So I just setup my shop in Umbraco 8 and noticed that Umbraco 9 is released... Soo, I'd like to upgrade my entire site.

I'm using Vendr shop and it's compatible with Umbraco 9, luckily!

But my problem is - I have NO idéa how to move my content from Umbraco 8 to 9.

I know that I can't upgrade from Umbraco 8 to 9, I need to create a new project and merge my content from the old database to the new one (installed with Umbraco 9). But how exactly do I do that?

Have any of you successfully moved data types, templates, pages etc. from Umbraco 8 to 9?

Also, when I run

dotnet add package Vendr

To install Vendr in Umbraco 9, the package area in the backend is empty.

Am I doing things completely wrong? I followed the installation guide from https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Fundamentals/Setup/Install/

Oct 10, 2021 @ 13:18
    MB

I think I've found a solution but it would be nice if someone could verify this is the correct approach so others don't follow my steps and messes something up:

1. Take a backup of your Umbraco 8 database
    2. Create a new database for your Umbraco 9
    3. Go through the installation so you have an EMPTY Umbraco 9 installation
    4. Open your Umbraco 9 project and find the file: appsettings.json Open this file and change the ConnectionString to target the Umbraco 8 backup database you created in the first step. eg: umbracoDbDSN": "Server=.;Database=DocsSite;Integrated Security=true"

5. Now run your project and go through the upgrade progress

6. When it's done, you should now have an Umbraco 9 with all content from your Umbraco 8 project.

It works for me but I don't know if I'm missing something else. When I install new packages eg.: dotnet add package Vendr they are still not installed in my project?

• Bjarke Berg 29 posts 265 karma points hq
    Oct 10, 2021 @ 13:29
    Bjarke Berg

Step 5 don't make sense, but just skip then, then you are correct :)

The reason it don't make sense is because is should just still be the 9 version you wanna use and there dont exists Umbraco 8 versions with the name "Umbraco.Cms" (They are named "UmbracoCms")

Oct 10, 2021 @ 13:51
    MB

Thank you for the feedback Bjarke! I'll remove step 5 and leave the rest in case other people find themselves in a similar situation af me.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft