Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jesper Lysgaard 7 posts 98 karma points
    Oct 28, 2021 @ 07:50
    Jesper Lysgaard

Deploying Umbraco 9

We are doing the intial steps to re-program all our v8 sites to Umbraco 9 and is therefore testing it using Visual Studio Code. We are using the native database.

In the local environment everything works fine but when we try to deploy the local test-solution to a sandbox environment online, the Umbraco install wizard starts. I have used this command to make the files for the webserver:

dotnet publish -r win-x86 -c Release -o ./publish --self-contained 

It seems that important files, as for example the database is excluded from this. Initial tweaking in config files is probably needed to get everything working - but I can't find any information about that anywhere. Any ideas on what we need to do to make this work?

• Jörg Seibert 10 posts 61 karma points
    Oct 28, 2021 @ 08:39
    Jörg Seibert

Are you able to access sandbox environment?
    Are all files in place?
    Is correct connectionstring set up in appsettings.json at sandbox environment?
    Do you use SQL CE? Is it copied to environment?
    Are you able to connect to DB from sandbox?

We are using similar publish command without any issues, not using --self-contained switch. That works without issues, so I guess you need to check something else.

Oct 28, 2021 @ 08:50
    Jesper Lysgaard

Hi Jörg, Thank you for getting back. Yes I have access to the IIS on sandbox environment - and I can get Umbraco to run (showing install screen)

I have not changed anything in appsettings.json assuming that the SQL CE database is uploaded the same place.... but this could very well be the issue.... I will look into this.

I use SQL CE and by default it is not copied into local \Publish folder but I have tried to upload what is missing - but I evidently misses something. I read somewhere that everything should land in the \Publish folder when running the 'publish' command. But it doesn't seem so..

Oct 29, 2021 @ 06:58
    Jesper Lysgaard

I have found what the problem was. Our sandbox environment has stopped supporting .mdf (MS SQL Express). So after a deployment on regular SQL server everything works as intended.

Thank you for leading me in the right direction.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft