Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Linx 98 posts 258 karma points
    Nov 09, 2021 @ 20:19
    Linx

Umbraco documentation

Hi

I've been learning to create a section for Umbraco 8 and it's been a right mess.

I have to say the documentation is awful and missing key areas. It's like the documentation starts of well and then assumes I know something when in fact I may not.

I would recommend for the new versions of Umbraco you have a better more comprehensive documentation with working examples, indicating what needs to be done AND providing the said tutorial with a complete working solution so it can be looked at and compared to see what one may have missed.

This can be uploaded to GitHub.

It would also be good to have more standard template UI designs for the custom section so I can see how you guys have implemented certain functionality and then use that as a base template.

Hopefully someone would take these thoughts into consideration.

• Søren Kottal 702 posts 4497 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Nov 09, 2021 @ 21:15
    Søren Kottal

What key areas are you missing?

What did you feel was assumed you knew?

Any particular examples you would have liked to see?

• Linx 98 posts 258 karma points
    Nov 12, 2021 @ 17:16
    Linx

Hi Søren Kottal

1. The key areas i felt were missing were:

Third party control/Javascript versions. Some tutorials for the custom section meant i had to use AngularJS but i couldnt see what version it was targetting only at a later date i found the version and had to move across to it.

Again for the custom section, I was using this tutorial https://our.umbraco.com/Documentation/Extending/Section-Trees/trees-v8 and all of a sudden i come to the topic "Providing functionality in your Tree Action Views" and i felt a chunk was missing. I know this was due to my lack of knowledge in AngularJS but if a basic complete application was provided i could have taken that and studied it. Instead i spent hours trying to figure out what was missing and where do i need to wire it up.

Taking code from a working version and slowly putting it together. I then posted a question https://our.umbraco.com/forum/using-umbraco-and-getting-started/107405-angularjs-structure-in-umbraco-8 but no answers to it.

Layout of pages: When i create a new MVC project i am given a basic layout template. This allows me to get started and i can then re-use areas with the same design. In Umbraco 8 i felt i was going in circles between Visual Studio 2019 and the layout as one area was telling me the CSS doesnt exist but the display was ok. I thought i had to use the existing CSS layout but again if there was a simple page i could have used that as a starting point.

I did install a UI Package which helped but when i got to the layouts section again it felt a chunk was missing as it should have demoed how this layout may fit in with a tab control or something. Eventually i figured it out but there was pain to get to that point and make the page feel like an Umbraco page.

2: The tutorial came across as i already knew AngularJS, had a complete understanding of where to add some classes or which import statements needed to be used. This led me to search google for examples but quickly came to light that others were in the same boat as myself which is why these questions were asked.

IMO again a project on GitHub with the version could resolve this so i can just look at what you guys have done, replicate and learn from it.

1. I think the above text gives you some ideas
Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft