Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• andrew shearer 506 posts 653 karma points
    Nov 30, 2021 @ 21:05
    andrew shearer

301/legacy url tracking in Umbraco 9

Hi – I would be interested to hear what solution in Umbraco 9 that people are using for 301/legacy url tracking.

The in-build tracking https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/reference/routing/URL-Tracking/ is fine for simple umbraco content changes, but is there a content-managed solution our there where an editor could specify urls from a prior website, say for example a html, cfm, php url that should now land the user on an umbraco page? (or to add one or more “alternative” urls to an umbraco content page)

I realise the IIS Rewrite module can still be used in the umbraco 9/netcore world, but often due to volume, a content-managed solution is necessary?

Is there a popular redirects/url tracking package for umbraco 9 yet?

Thanks

Andrew

Dec 03, 2021 @ 03:39
    andrew shearer

anyone?

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Dec 03, 2021 @ 09:42
    Richard Soeteman

I hope to release SEOChecker for Umbraco V9 soon that supports this scenario.

Best,

Richard

• Danine Noble 75 posts 330 karma points
    Dec 10, 2021 @ 22:50
    Danine Noble

I've only just started really testing out v9 sites, but so far Skybrud Redirects has been really easy to use and has filled the need for us.

Dec 16, 2021 @ 19:17
    andrew shearer

thanks for the tip Danine

• Kieron McIntyre 116 posts 359 karma points
    Dec 16, 2021 @ 19:56
    Kieron McIntyre

We have literally just upgraded a massive site from v7.14 to v9 and had to programmatically remove the ContentFinderByRedirectUrl because it just didn't work and implement our own middleware instead.

We had over 6000 redirects and when I stepped through the Umbraco code I could see that the UrlProvider was always returning # for the destination content so nothing ever redirected.

Also I couldn't see any way the code would cater for circular or self referential redirects (which happen) so I felt safer to avoid it entirely.

I will report it once I've iron all the bugs out of our upgrade.

Mar 16, 2022 @ 01:10
    andrew shearer

anyone have any further thoughts?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft