Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Craig100 1136 posts 2523 karma points c-trib
    Dec 10, 2021 @ 19:01
    Craig100

How to transfer a form from local dev to live

Umb V9.1.2 UF V9.2--rc001

Now that form definitions aren't stored as files anymore, how do we transfer a form created locally to the server?

This is a particular issue when you've hard-coded the GUID into the view.

Thx

Craig

• Danine Noble 75 posts 330 karma points
    Dec 10, 2021 @ 21:17
    Danine Noble

I dunno about your setup, but if you've got some form of Umbraco's Deploy you can select forms as options to Queue for transfer between your environments.

Otherwise, the form is a document-type__some-long-id.uda file. For Cloud projects (not sure if it's different otherwise), these are found in the /umbraco/Deploy/Revision folder :3

Hope that helps you track it down!

• Kevin Jump 2310 posts 14695 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Dec 10, 2021 @ 21:42
    Kevin Jump

Hi,

You can also export and import forms with uSync.forms.

https://github.com/KevinJump/uSync.Forms/releases/tag/v9.0

Dec 11, 2021 @ 12:36
    Craig100

Thanks for both replies.

Without some way of transferring the form you end up with dev views that are out of sync with live views (different Form GUIDs!).

It's just unfortunate that while the docs suggest hard-coding a form GUID into views, they don't then warn you of the potential expense to transfer that build to live. Not an issue if you're a large agency or using Umbraco Cloud, but for smaller budget sites on shared hosting, UF becomes less attractive. I like to try to buy a forms licence to help the Umbraco project but not if it can't be justified against building a single MVC form.

I'll take a look at uSync.Forms just as soon as I get access to models on the live site, which is my next challenge, lol

Thanks again,

Craig

Dec 21, 2021 @ 10:28
    Craig100

Having now upgraded to the full UF 9.2.0 and installed uSync.Forms, I can export the form from my local dev machine and FTP it across to the web server. However when running a Report or Import on the form I just get this:-

enter image description here

A couple of pertinent points:-

1. There was a previous form with the same name on the site that was deleted before forms was upgraded.
    2. It's running locally on Linux (were it works) but on a Windows web server.

Please advise

• Kevin Jump 2310 posts 14695 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Dec 21, 2021 @ 10:35
    Kevin Jump

Hi Craig,

We haven't tested against 9.2 just yet, but if you can look into the logs, then there might be something there that will help us work out what the error might be.

Kevin

Dec 21, 2021 @ 11:29
    Craig100

Hi Kevin,

There's nothing in Umbraco's Log Viewer. Is there somewhere else I should be looking? I can put up the enquiry-form.config if it would be of interest, though it's 293 lines long?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft