Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bjørn Schaadt 9 posts 38 karma points
    Nov 21, 2013 @ 16:31
    Bjørn Schaadt

How do I get "www.mysite.dk" to show what's on the "www.mysite.se/dk" and is it possible?

Hi All, 

Didn't know where to put this question.

How do I get "www.mysite.dk" to show what's on the "www.mysite.se/dk" and is it possible?

My Scenario:

I have an umbraco website "www.mysite.se", that I want translated to other languages. I've followed all instruction on how to create multilingual sites and I'm able to create a website "www.mysite.se/dk" in danish, and everything works fine. 

Then I bought "www.mysite.dk" and now I want to associate the "www.mysite.dk" with "www.mysite.se/dk".

Then I talked to my hosting provider and we made an association from "www.mysite.dk" to "www.mysite.se/dk" but this did not work because there was no folder called dk on the swedish site. 

And bacause I'm working with Umbraco it does not make this directory in the ftp only in the content three of Umbraco. 

Thanks in advance

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5058 posts 15520 karma points MVP admin hq
    Nov 21, 2013 @ 18:59
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Right-click on your "dk" node, add a hostname: www.mysite.se/dk (yes you can just type a path in the hostname field).

In IIS make sure that both domains mysite.se and mysite.dk are configured on the root level (so at the same level as mysite.se and not pointing one level deeper to mysite.se/dk).

Nov 21, 2013 @ 19:42
    Bjørn Schaadt

Sorry this may sound stupid but can this kind of configuration also be achieved with a sql ce database?

• Dennis Aaen 4500 posts 18255 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Nov 21, 2013 @ 19:47
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Bjørn,

Yup it can be done with an SQL CE database.

/Dennis

Nov 27, 2013 @ 15:58
    Bjørn Schaadt

Does the "mysite.dk" and "mysite.se" have to be the same domain name for this to work? Could the domain name be eg. "myothersite.dk" and "mysite.se"?

The IIS configuration mentioned earlier is that a configuration that my hosting provider needs to do?

Sorry for asking this much - but I'm very unsure about this and I have a tight deadline for this project - so any help help on this would be much appreciated.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5058 posts 15520 karma points MVP admin hq
    Nov 27, 2013 @ 16:40
    Sebastiaan Janssen

They don't have to be the same domain.

So your hosting provider needs to set up mysite.se and myothersite.dk as bindings on your website. You set up the host name configuration in Umbraco.

Remember: you can always test all of this on your local machine by editing your hosts file and setting up IIS yourself. Then you can figure out exactly how it works and tell your hosting provider. And please do yourself a favor and do this to prevent disappointment later, I am not 100% sure that it will all work perfectly. The sooner you know, the sooner you can ask for more help or change strategies.

• Dennis Aaen 4500 posts 18255 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Nov 27, 2013 @ 18:17
    Dennis Aaen

In addition to Sebastiaan post I will add some good resources about working with multilingual sites in Umbraco.

It´s always a good idea to set up an test site on your local machine as Sebastiaan mention.

I think that you should see these videos about working with multilingual sites in Umbraco.

Here is to the old version of the video showning how to work with hostnames in Umbraco,

http://umbraco.com/help-and-support/video-tutorials/umbraco-fundamentals/running-multiple-sites/structure,-domains-and-languages

And here is the new version of the video:

http://umbraco.tv/videos/implementor/multi-lingual/creating-a-multi-lingual-site/assigning-languages

I hope these link can make it easier to understand how to work with multilingual sites in Umbraco and managed hostnames.

/Dennis

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft