Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dafydd Owen 33 posts 173 karma points
    Mar 13, 2014 @ 15:26
    Dafydd Owen

Slow media section

Hello,

This issue has been present for quite a while on the umbraco installations we have been using > version 4.11.10

When uploading images into the media section, the response time from the item being uploading and the page refreshing is crazy. Umbraco uploads the image (looking at the chrome hint) to 100% and then the system seems to get stuck for anywhere between 2-5 minutes. 

Is this likely to be server settings or could other properites added to a media type slow it down?  

It sounds similar to the issue raised here > http://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/extending-umbraco/34516-Media-section-very-slow-in-49

Thanks!

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 13, 2014 @ 15:32
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Dafydd

Is it only the media section that is slow? Or is the content section also slow when publishing new content for instance? And is it only image uploading that is slow or is it media in general?

The reason I ask is that you may or may not benefit from setting up some database indexing. I had the same issue on a v4.7 installation where both content and media section was slooow and then a guy named Mikkel suggested I ran a SQL script, which did an analyze of what indexes that could be added...the thread is here on our - I'll digg it up and post it so you can follow the same guide to see if it helps.

/Jan

Mar 13, 2014 @ 15:34
    Jan Skovgaard

Hello again

Here is the post http://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/extending-umbraco/42361-This-is-a-bit-dirtybut-I-need-to-mess-with-the-database

The last post of the first page is where the SQL code is shown but make sure you read the rest of the thread as well since Mikkel explains further details in those posts.

And before doing anything remember to make a backup first of course! :)

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Mar 13, 2014 @ 15:43
    Dafydd Owen

Hi Jan,

It is only ever the media section that responds slowly, everything else is fine. 

We have been using the SQL CE database and I have wondered about switching the sites to an external database to see if things would improve.

Would the tips you mentioned above also apply to the SQL CE databases?

Many thanks,
    Daf 

Mar 13, 2014 @ 15:46
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Daf

Ok, that might be the issue then.

I would recommend you to migrate from SQL CE to MSSQL and see if that works. If you run a rather large site then SQL CE is not for use in production. I don't think that I would run a production site on an embedded database at all actually :)

/Jan

Mar 13, 2014 @ 15:50
    Dafydd Owen

Ahhh, we shall look into migrating the data. 

Thanks for your help Jan. 

Have a great day. 

Daf

Mar 13, 2014 @ 15:56
    Jan Skovgaard

Of course remember to do a backup and make sure to run tests before deploying anything to the live site, right? :)

You're very welcome. Let me know how it turns out.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft