Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Vanessa 1 post 21 karma points
    Apr 14, 2014 @ 05:24
    Vanessa

Outlook emails not being received from web inquiries

Hi,

I am NOT a web developer - I'm an admin manager babysitting our website awmqld.com.au so please be kind - the extent of my knowledge is basic HTML code (Which I don't need to use), updating photos, links and contacts.  I don't speak "Geek" and I can't see anywhere on the forum where our problem has occured elsewghere so apologies if I'm asking something someone else has already covered.

For some reason web inquries through our website from people who use outlook email addresses (e.g [email protected]) are not coming through to our recipient email address for the website.  I am able to send and receive emails to/fromthat email address from my work email address which we run through outlook and send dummy web inquiries with dummy email address through the website and they come through fine, however we don't seem to be able to get emails from @outlook.com email addresses.  

Is there something wrong with our website?  Is there something EASY I can do to correct this?  Is this a Windows problem? 

Hope someone can help.

Thanks.

• Peter Gregory 408 posts 1614 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Apr 14, 2014 @ 08:52
    Peter Gregory

Hey Vanessa

I think the problem is probably more to do with the emails being picked up as spam. Do the emails come through as being from your website? or has your developer made it so the email appears to be from the person who filled out your contact form? Some SMTP servers that send emails do not like it when the address that the email states it being sent from doesn't match the domain that the request to send came from. What do the reply addresses on the enquires look like? I suggest if they look like they are from the actual individuals then you may want to change the websites from address for the form to something like [email protected]

Theres not really anything easy you can do yourself other than talk to whoever hosts your company mail server to see if the emails are being rejected for some reason or to go back to your web developers and ask them to look into it for you.

No pinpoint answers for you but hope that at least this puts on the right track

Peter

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 14, 2014 @ 08:55
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Vanessa and welcome to our :)

First of I want to tell you that this is not an issue related to Umbraco since it's just the CMS for your website. It does not have much to do with the receiving of e-mails or sending them.

However I'm of course trying to see if I can help you out :)

So...Are you working in a company where there is an IT admin that could have configured a firewall or a spam filter to make sure e-mails form certain domains don't get through to the receiving inbox?

Have you checked if e-mail from outlook.com domains end up in the spam folder? If not they are perhaps blocked at another level.

Cheers, Jan

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 14, 2014 @ 08:56
    Jan Skovgaard

I was too slow :D

/Jan

• Christian Liebe-Harkort 56 posts 104 karma points
    Apr 14, 2014 @ 09:11
    Christian Liebe-Harkort

Hi Vanessa,

maybe your mail-server has blacklisted outlook.com, so that mails from there are not accepted. 

I had a similar problem with another domain. I got all mails except from a specific domain. 

Maybe you can verify that here http://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx 

/Christian

• Christian Liebe-Harkort 56 posts 104 karma points
    Apr 14, 2014 @ 09:22
    Christian Liebe-Harkort

Hi Vanessa,

maybe your mail-server has blacklisted outlook.com, so that mails from there are not accepted. 

I had a similar problem with another domain. I got all mails except from a specific domain. 

Maybe you can verify that here http://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx 

You could also try to send an email from [email protected] to your address an see if you get back any mail delivery failure (if your mail server is set up correctly you should get an error message back).

/Christian

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft