Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Morishikiq 2 posts 72 karma points
    Sep 09, 2015 @ 07:42
    Morishikiq

Update to theme css not appearing

Hi All,

Sorry if this is a relatively easy question, still quite new to Umbraco so apologies if someone has already asked and provided an answer for this!

I'm working off a build of the site with Umbraco v6.1.5 - and tried changing the CSS within the theme originally created for the site. But doesn't matter what changes I make in the CSS it doesn't update to the live site.

Not sure if theres a hidden file cache? or a delay to update to the live site. But any advice appreciated!

Just to note, css changes are saved and uploaded via ftp, path for the file is correct and linked to the right file.

Thanks

• Dennis Aaen 4500 posts 18255 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Sep 09, 2015 @ 08:30
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Morishikiq and welcome to our.

First if you try to navigate to the CSS file in the browser on the server, does the file have the changes that you did to the file?

If this the case have you then tried to clear your browser cache to make sure that the site are loading the new CSS file.

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4453 karma points c-trib
    Sep 09, 2015 @ 08:33
    Steve Morgan

To force all visitors to see the new CSS tack on a url parameter in your "master" template where the CSS is referenced.

I tend to use the date (so I remember when I last did it!).

e.g.

<link rel="stylesheet" href="main.css" type="text/css" />

Becomes:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="main.css?date=20150909" type="text/css" />

This makes any visitor's browser that thinks it already has a copy of the main.css fetch the latest version.

• Morishikiq 2 posts 72 karma points
    Sep 11, 2015 @ 02:15
    Morishikiq

Hi Dennis & Steve,

Thank you both for your suggestions!

I've finally found out why it wasn't working and it had nothing to do with Umbraco at all....

But appreciate all the help!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft