Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nik 1599 posts 7179 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Aug 02, 2016 @ 11:50
    Nik

Migrating simple site to UaaS

I'm trying to migrate a simple site to UaaS as a test. However, this is proving challenging.

I've tried following the instructions here: https://github.com/umbraco/.comDocumentation/blob/master/Deployment/existingsite.md

However, the first attempt meant that I couldn't get into the back office once it was deployed. So I scrapped that project and started again, paying a bit more attention.

My simple site has "useLegacyEncoding" set to false, where as a default UaaS site has it set to true. As a result, when courier tries to install the default user for UaaS into the existing database it is throwing up this error:

2016-08-02 12:35:38,261 [20] ERROR Umbraco.Courier.Core.BackgroundTaskRunner - [Thread 22] An error occurred consuming task System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'userPassword', table 'Client.Website.Development.dbo.umbracoUser'; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails. The statement has been terminated.

I don't know if this is the only issue I'm having, but is there a way to resolve this one before I progress onto the next?

Thanks,

Nik

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15478 karma points MVP admin hq
    Aug 02, 2016 @ 15:29
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Set useLegacyEncoding to true ;-)

• Nik 1599 posts 7179 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Aug 02, 2016 @ 16:11
    Nik

But the existing users in there (not the UaaS) ones have all been created with LegacyEncoding set to false.

However, when I pushed this up to UaaS, I was unable to login with them.

The other side of this is that I want to be using Salted passwords and want Legacy Encoding set to false as it is more secure.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15478 karma points MVP admin hq
    Aug 03, 2016 @ 08:34
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Yup that's fine. The problem is, we give you legacy encoded passwords by default on UaaS (for now, we're working on that but it has larger implications for Courier). So for now, we don't offer non-legacy password hashing out of the box.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft