Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Genc Kastrati 86 posts 401 karma points
    Oct 19, 2016 @ 08:19
    Genc Kastrati

Using Mandrill and Umbraco as a Service for SMTP

Greetings everyone. We have been using Mandrill by MailChimp for sending out transactional e-mails for a few years now and it has worked great.

Am wondering if anyone has managed to use Mandrill on Umbraco as a Service? So far it has not been working for me.

MailChimp recently made some restrictions on how Mandrill can be used which we managed to get it to work on our servers (one had to add DKIM and SPF settings to the server).

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Oct 19, 2016 @ 08:27
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't those DNS settings you need to add to the domain names you choose to attach to your site? That's not something the server should need to worry about.

Found some documentation for that here: https://mandrill.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205582267-About-SPF-and-DKIM

Oct 19, 2016 @ 08:31
    Genc Kastrati

Indeed. And we've done it for our current site (adding the settings to our DNS), and it works. Am wondering if anyone has done it using UAAS till now.

Oct 19, 2016 @ 08:37
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Haven't heard of anyone using Mandrill yet on UaaS but it should be no problem, as long as you update the required DNS settings for your domain.

Oct 19, 2016 @ 08:40
    Genc Kastrati

Thank you! I've added the settings and let's see when we go live. Our DNS has the required settings but of course it isn't pointing yet to UAAS. So I cannot really test. Will update this topic when I have more information.

Oct 19, 2016 @ 08:59
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Might be a bit late to only be able to test this once you go live. Both Sendgrid and Postmark have great free options to fall back on if it doesn't work.. I would recommend coming prepared to change your SMTP settings if Mandrill doesn't work! :-)

Oct 19, 2016 @ 09:01
    Genc Kastrati

Good point. I will look at that. Have used Postmark in the past.

Oct 19, 2016 @ 12:03
    Genc Kastrati

It actually worked well. Managed to have the forgotten password function as intended.

Here are the modifications to the "web.config" file:

<system.net>
         <mailSettings>
              <smtp from="[email protected]">
                   <network host="smtp.mandrillapp.com" port="587" userName="{hidden}" password="{also-hidden}" />
              </smtp>
         </mailSettings>
    </system.net>

And the modification made to "umbracoSetting.config":

<allowPasswordReset>true</allowPasswordReset>

Thank you for all your help! Genc

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft