Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Genc Kastrati 86 posts 401 karma points
    Oct 19, 2016 @ 08:21
    Genc Kastrati

Generating a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) for the SSL Certificate on Umbraco as a Service

Hello everyone. I am trying to setup HTTPS on our new website on Umbraco as a Service and our registrar requires a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) in order to issue the SSL certificates. I am not able to find this anywhere on the panels on UAAS.

Is this something that Umbraco can do for customers or are we supposed to generate it ourselves? Thank you!

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Oct 19, 2016 @ 08:24
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Hey there,

All that UaaS cares about is the .pfx file, so it's up to you to get a pfx file and then you can upload that the "manage hostnames" section of your UaaS site.

Oct 19, 2016 @ 08:39
    Genc Kastrati

Thank you Sebastiaan. So our registrar requires the CSR in order to generate the .pfx file. Am I missunderstanding and mixing up .pfx with the SSL certificate that is generated by the registrar?

Oct 19, 2016 @ 08:43
    Sebastiaan Janssen

You should ask your registrar what the next steps are to get a PFX file created, we have no facilities at the moment for actually generating the certificate, but your registrar should know how to proceed from here. :)

Note: it's possible that the registrar can't directly generate a PFC file for you, in which case you need to convert it from (for example) a CER file to PFX.

Tip: DnSimple.com makes this all super easy and you don't even have to have your domain registered with them to obtain a certificate for your domain.

Oct 19, 2016 @ 08:51
    Genc Kastrati

Thank you Sebastiaan, will try DnSimple.com. Just to clarify, our registrar would generate the SSL certificate, not Umbraco, but to do so they require this CSR step. I know how to generate it on IIS on our servers, but not on the cloud/UAAS/Azure/whatever it is. Thank you again!

Oct 19, 2016 @ 08:55
    Sebastiaan Janssen

I don't understand CSR's very well yet (I'm reading up on it) but as far as I know it can be just any old CSR, doesn't need to be generated on our (UaaS) server.

• Ahsinah 18 posts 71 karma points
    Oct 19, 2016 @ 10:34
    Ahsinah

Hello Genc,

Digicert gives a handy tool to generate CSR yourself. You can download on this link

https://www.digicert.com/util/

You then need to input info like the common name, company info etc., then click on the generate CSR button.

You can then provide the CSR to registrar. When you receive the the crt file from the registrar you can then imoport the certificate into the Digiert utility which will give the .pfx

With the .pfx you can do what Sebastiaan instructed.

I hope it helps :)

Regards, Ahsinah

Oct 19, 2016 @ 12:17
    Genc Kastrati

Thank you so much Ahsinah! It worked. Got the .pfx file from the SSL certificate that was issued by our registrar. Now everything should be ready for when we go live with our main domain :) Thank you!

• Ahsinah 18 posts 71 karma points
    Oct 19, 2016 @ 12:30
    Ahsinah

You're welcome! Glad it worked :)

Ahsinah

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft