Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dmitry 7 posts 96 karma points
    Nov 24, 2016 @ 16:54
    Dmitry

Working with local copy of Umbraco cloud site using Sql Server (not CE)

Hello,

I have a question regarding working in local environment using Umbraco Cloud site

We want to work locally with SQL Server (not CE). Is it possible?

I tried to do that and when I specify SQL Server connection string, Local Umbraco instance stops working and I can see only blank Install Umbraco page: https://i.imgur.com/2rc4RyG.jpg

Error Number:208,State:1,Class:16 2016-11-24 19:35:01,445 [P22712/D8/T261] ERROR Umbraco.Core.Persistence.UmbracoDatabase - Database exception occurred System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Invalid object name 'umbracoUser'. at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose)

I have to implement Ucommerce integration (it doesn't work with CE databse)

Thanks in advance

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Nov 25, 2016 @ 13:07
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Hi Dmitry,

You can't just setup an Umbraco Cloud project by changing the connection string. UCloud works by creating a SQL CE database after you first clone it. You could of course migrate that database to SQL Server if you want to, there's a migrate button for that in WebMatrix, for example:

enter image description here

After this is done, WebMatrix will add a new connection string but that doesn't work, so you'll need to go in and take the new connectionstring and put it in the umbracoDbDSN connection string.

So this:

Turns into this:

The other option is to take a backup from the database on your development site and import that one to your local SQL Server, then you can use that as a starting point.

Please note: this is very important to note; Umbraco Cloud is designed so that each developer on their local machine has a local database. You cannot set up a shared SQL Server and have all developers connect to that shared instance. This will lead to unexpected results and errors when deploying to Umbraco Cloud. So to be clear: each developer needs to have a SQL database on their local machine that only they connect to.

• Euan Rae 105 posts 135 karma points
    Jul 13, 2017 @ 14:00
    Euan Rae

Hi Sebastian,

Is it possible to get some more information as to why we can't use 1 SQL server to develop off? We have a client who has requested we host in Umbraco Cloud, but developing this way is a big change from how we normally work.

What's the issue with multiple developers using 1 db?

Thanks, Euan

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jul 13, 2017 @ 14:19
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Courier/Umbraco Deploy files will not get created correctly and deploy between environments will then become a giant unmaintainable mess. :-)

Make sure to regularly push changes from local to your dev environment in Cloud, at which point the rest of the team can pull changes down easily and restore any required content as well.

• Euan Rae 105 posts 135 karma points
    Jul 13, 2017 @ 15:27
    Euan Rae

Well we don't want a giant unmaintainable mess, that's not fun at all ....

How hard is it to create a site in 1 umbraco cloud account (e.g. our company's account), then move it to another account (e.g. client owned account)

Thanks

• Dmitry 7 posts 96 karma points
    Nov 30, 2016 @ 09:13
    Dmitry

Thank you Sebastiaan.

Very helpful explanation.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft