Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Feb 08, 2017 @ 21:08
    Nicholas Westby

Proxy with Umbraco Cloud?

I am considering how viable using Umbraco Cloud might be for projects going forward. One area of particular interest is interoperability.

Sometimes, we'll develop an Umbraco website, but then proxy a part of the website (e.g., /blog) to be served up by a different web server. To be clear, I am not talking about a subdomain; I am talking about a subpath.

This is something that can be done from IIS. Is proxying a portion of the website to a different (non-cloud and non-Umbraco) web server possible on Umbraco Cloud?

• Paul Sterling 718 posts 1534 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Feb 08, 2017 @ 21:35
    Paul Sterling

@Nicholas -

I think you can do that by setting up the site to act as a reverse proxy for requests that match a specific pattern. The one part I'm not 100% certain of is if Cloud support applicationHost.xdt transforms. I'll give that a try as it's something I've come across a need for recently as well.

Ruslan Y (Microsoft) has a great blog with loads of useful posts covering Azure WebApps (Sites) and also IIS Rewrites.

http://ruslany.net/2014/05/using-azure-web-site-as-a-reverse-proxy/

Feb 08, 2017 @ 21:51
    Paul Sterling

@Nicholas

Currently transforms for applicationHost are not supported (February 2017) for Cloud projects. But the Umbraco HQ folks in the know tell me the plan is to support this in the future - likely tied to a service-wide update for some of the underlying bits.

So, short version, not currently but planned for the future.

Feb 08, 2017 @ 22:07
    Nicholas Westby

Thanks for the quick response, Paul!

I suppose I'll check in again in a few months.

Should I create a YouTrack ticket for this for better tracking of the resolution?

Feb 08, 2017 @ 22:29
    Paul Sterling

Can't hurt to capture it as a Feature Request in the tracker...that way if it either is or is not explicitly supported at any point you will know for certain.

Feb 08, 2017 @ 22:35
Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft