Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Pavol Vasko 15 posts 126 karma points
    Aug 15, 2017 @ 13:06
    Pavol Vasko

Migrating existing website to Umbraco Cloud

Hi, I am tying to migrate an existing site to the cloud, however I have experienced several difficulties while trying to progress.

Firstly, my existing website has a VS Project solution and the cloud clone on my local machine is a website. What folder or files do I exactly have to copy from my old website to the new local cloud website since I am dealing with two different things.

Secondly, In Umbraco documentation : Migrate existing site to the Umbraco cloud in point 9.

1. Copy all folders from the existing site to the Umbraco Cloud site. Make sure you do not overwrite any Umbraco Cloud site files in the following folders: /bin/ , /data/backoffice/users/ , /umbraco/ , /umbraco_client/

As mentioned in section 9. I should copy all FOLDERS (NOT THE FILES !)from my old website to umbraco local cloud website.

But the next step is to merge the files but I can't merge web.config as I never copied it.

1. Merge the config files as needed paying special attention to: web.config /config/courier.config /config/dashboard.config
      /config/umbracodeploy.config

Also, the merging of some files is quite confusing for a novice as you are not completely sure what to look for and the documentation says just to pay special attention to such file but not any further help etc....

Is anyone able to provide more specific example or any better examples of migration from existing website to umbraco cloud.

Any help is highly appreciated! I have been stuck on this one for a while.

Thank you

• Georgs Bormanis 25 posts 122 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Aug 31, 2017 @ 07:57
    Georgs Bormanis

Hey Pavol!

Yes, documentation might be a bit confusing indeed, actually we are working on it as we speak :)

Regardgin step 9/10, your local Cloud Clone already has these config files in it and when we say merge them, we mean that if you have any custom stuff that needs to be in the web.config file you put it there but make sure that you don't overwrite anything that is Cloud specific.

So you can use DiffMerge to compare those files and then decide what needs to be moved.

I hope this helps, else let me know, I'm all ears!

Cheers, Georgs, the magician

• Pavol Vasko 15 posts 126 karma points
    Sep 13, 2017 @ 10:39
    Pavol Vasko

Hi Georgs,

Thank for the replay.

We actually haven't managed to migrate to the cloud the way how it was described in the documentation. We had to create new cloud project and kind of recreate the website in the cloud. We thought that would be the quickest and easiest solution for us as we also use uSkinned package on the website which needed to be updated as well and was causing some issues for us.

Thanks again.

Pav

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft