Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Marcin Zajkowski 112 posts 585 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Oct 02, 2017 @ 11:33
    Marcin Zajkowski

Using Umbraco Cloud workflow with existing deployment / development setup

Hi devs,

I'm curious how other developers and companies are doing things with Umbraco Cloud with their existing workflows and habits. I've been talking a lot with community members during various events, but I think that having it in some kind of manuals or even this thread to help others might be a good solution to shorten the path for people doing the same things in the future. I'm still not sure if what we developed as our working solution is the best practise or even good solution for it. So.. thank you in advance for your input here.

I've been struggling a lot with combining our current setup with Umbraco Cloud workflow. Maybe a combination of both is not a good idea at all.. We're using TeamCity and Octopus for CI/CD + we have our custom infrastructure setup creating our repos, enviroments and everything else for specific projects. When we started to play with Umbraco Cloud all what we wanted was only to have additional deployment step in TC which will do the deploy into Umbraco Cloud enviroment when all the previous steps are correct - either if it's a development enviroment on Cloud or live one (depending from our current needs).

So we followed some tips from community (e.g. Sebastian's post from here: https://cultiv.nl/blog/visual-studio-and-umbraco-as-a-service/) and used provided tools to setup Visual Studio solution and we adopted it to fit our needs. We've ended in a really advanced Team City build step which is doing some magic behind the scenes to merge stuff from Cloud repo into our internal one and after all checks performing deploy/push to Cloud. It works in most of the cases, but still - it's interesting how others are doing it.

The most important part for us was to keep ability of Pull Requesting changes for all types of items in the project (including Views for example etc.), code-reviews and then just merge changes and perform a deploys to wherever we want to.

So, how you're doing it?

1. You're creating subrepository in your repository with the files from Cloud and pulling whenever you're working on the new features + you're adopting your build servers to just deploy the same website project which is pushed to Cloud?
    2. You're keeping your web app + creating Cloud "deployment" website on the fly and it's only pushed to Cloud repos while all the rest is same as it was before adding this step? If so, how you're dealing with conflicts and updates on the Cloud side? You're doing Pull Request from command line for example or other kind of tricks?
    3. You're doing some other kind of magic steps to make it done? :)

I will be glad for sharing as much as you can to help me understand your way of achieving the same goals I think.

Thank you in advance!

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Oct 03, 2017 @ 08:26
  • Marcin Zajkowski 112 posts 585 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Oct 03, 2017 @ 08:41
    Marcin Zajkowski

What a perfect timing! Thanks Ismail for a good finding.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft