Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Richard Rees 27 posts 57 karma points
    Feb 03, 2018 @ 23:38
    Richard Rees

Member "transactional" data storage with umbraco cloud

I have created the concept of a "course" where a member can watch a video, answer some multiple choice questions on that video, and get "marked" by the system (which checks against the set of "correct answers").

So to create the course and questions is "structural" and pretty easy. What I'm not sure about is the best way to store "transactional" data such as the member's answers, the mark, whether the course has been completed etc.

In the old days (I last worked on v4 of Umbraco), I'd just have created a separate set of non-umbraco based database tables that held that data along with fields that held the nodeIds for memberid, courseid, questionid, answerid etc.

Is that still the way to do it, or is there a better more umbraco way of storing this type of data? Or should I actually be creating some umbraco structures for this data and using the umbraco api to read and write it?

Thanks

Rich

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Feb 04, 2018 @ 01:02
    Nik

Hi Richard,

It is, as far as I'm aware, still recommended practice to use custom tables for this sort of data and not store it in the typical Umbraco tables. Even on Umbraco Cloud this is possible. I would start by looking up Migrations as a means of updating the database to add your custom table(s) as this is a trackable way to add the tables and, should it be required, remove or update them in the future.

Thanks,

Nik

• Richard Rees 27 posts 57 karma points
    Feb 04, 2018 @ 01:36
    Richard Rees

I have just done a lot more reading up and have come to the same conclusion. I can see that I can connect to the Azure Umbraco db via SSMS and I can also open my local SQLCE Umbraco db the same way.

I will look into migrations to allow thhem to be trackable.

Thanks Nik for your help.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft