Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Michael Harper 23 posts 134 karma points
    Apr 11, 2018 @ 15:45
    Michael Harper

Umbraco cloud + update environments

Hi guys,

I'm very soon going to start developing Umbraco sites for clients and the cloud looks like a hassle free way to provide hosting.

A few questions -

Can I have one account and add plans to it as and when required?

Auto upgrades - I understand this requires an extra environment, would I have to add this manually for every site and then remove once the update was completed?

Also roughly how many updates are expected per year? (So I can workout what to charge clients for their hosting!)

Many thanks

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Apr 11, 2018 @ 16:13
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Michael,

Can I have one account and add plans to it as and when required?

Yep,One account for all your projects

Auto upgrades - I understand this requires an extra environment, would I have to add this manually for every site and then remove once the update was completed?

A extra environment is only required for major and minor upgrades. Eg 7.x where x changes. You also need to start his upgrade manually. For patch updates eg. 7.10.x no extra environment is needed. These are done by Umbraco Cloud.

You can also pull down the website locally and upgrade it yourself for minor and major upgrades and push it back. This way you don't need the extra enviroment. But I would not recommend it. Also I think you hours are worth more than the time than the cost of a extra environment.

Dave

Apr 11, 2018 @ 16:20
    Michael Harper

Hi Dave,

So I don't have to upgrade every time? i.e. I could leave a site on its starter version 'forever' if I wanted to?

And if that is so - can you jump versions? for example, a site left on 7.5.0 and for whatever reason decides to upgrade to 8.0.0 or something?

Thanks for your help :)

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Apr 11, 2018 @ 19:43
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Michael,

So I don't have to upgrade every time? i.e. I could leave a site on its starter version 'forever' if I wanted to?

Yep. Like I said patch updates will be done automaticly. All other upgrades need a manual action (push a button in the portal). As long as you don't do that you willl stay on the latest patch version.

So if you would start now you will start with umbraco 7.10.2. You will get all 7.10.x upgrades, but upgrading to 7.11 when it comes out is up to you.

And if that is so - can you jump versions? for example, a site left on 7.5.0 and for whatever reason decides to upgrade to 8.0.0 or something?

Yep will upgrade to the latest versions if you push the button.

I suggest you sign up for a trial. Watch some umbraco.tv video's about Cloud and read the documentation here.

Dave

Apr 11, 2018 @ 19:45
    Michael Harper

That's great,

thanks for your time!

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Apr 11, 2018 @ 21:57
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Michael

You can also sign up for one of our free Umbraco Cloud webinars, where you will get a guided tour on how Umbraco Cloud works

You can sign up here https://umbraco.com/products/free-umbraco-webinars/

/Dennis

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft