Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ben Snape 9 posts 81 karma points
    Oct 19, 2018 @ 11:13
    Ben Snape

Urgent help needed

Hi, we use Umbraco cloud and I stupidly tried to add the uSync content package and now our site is totally down. Can't even login to the back end.

Does anyone know how to roll it back to before we added this package?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Oct 19, 2018 @ 11:18
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ben

What an unfortunate issue :-/

I'm just wondering if you have tried reaching out to Cloud support and see if they're able to help you out? Maybe they have an option to restore things?

/Jan

Oct 19, 2018 @ 11:19
    Ben Snape

Yes I have but they want me to upgrade to a pro package...

Oct 19, 2018 @ 11:32
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ben

Ah, so you're currently running in trial mode? I don't know how large a site you have been building or whether it's live or not but if it's a live-site I think that the best way to get this issue resolved would be to go for the 25€ option listed here https://umbraco.com/pricing/ ?

If you have been playing around and trying stuff then maybe you can do a new trial? But otherwise paying for the cheapest cloud package might be worth it?

/Jan

Oct 19, 2018 @ 11:33
    Ben Snape

No it's not a trial. We're on the 25 package but they want us to upgrade to pro for support...

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Oct 19, 2018 @ 11:32
    Nik

Hi Ben,

Have you tried uninstalling uSync content edition? (Sorry it may seem obvious but I thought best to ask rather than assume)

How did you install the package, was it through the back office or through nuget?

How many environment's do you have? Just the live?

Thanks

Nik

Oct 19, 2018 @ 11:33
    Jan Skovgaard

Oh yes, very relevant - I should have asked about this too initially. hi5yr Nik :)

/Jan

Oct 19, 2018 @ 11:34
    Ben Snape

Yes but I am not able to access the backend. Just get error 500 on all pages on the site. Only live environment yes. I installed it via back office

Oct 19, 2018 @ 11:36
    Nik

Okay, so first step is to log into the Kudo tools if you can and access the actual log file.

It will be located in the App_Data/log directory for the website but on Cloud it can be a bit tricky to find the current log file.

In there it should, I hope give you more information on the error but if the backoffice is down it means the entire site won't start up so it might be a bit tricky to fix it.

Have you cloned the site down locally so you can work on it in Visual Studio?

Oct 19, 2018 @ 11:38
    Ben Snape

Yes I've already cloned locally (before this happened) but in my git client, there are no new commits so nothing to roll back. The whole site is stuck in a restart loop according to support.....

Oct 19, 2018 @ 11:40
    Nik

Okay, so.. if you have a local clone that is working... try installing uSync content edition to it in order to get it to the same point.

See if your local then gets the same problem. If you can replicate the issue you can then look at resolving it a bit easier.

But I suspect you'll want to do the following:

1) Remove all uSync related DLL's from the bin directory 2) Remove any references to uSync in web.config

If you do those 2 bits I would like to think the site will then start but, as I say, it's hard to advise fully in this situation.

Oct 19, 2018 @ 11:40
    Ben Snape

Support says uSync is not compatible with cloud. Can I use Kudo somwhow to remove it? I've never used that before

Oct 19, 2018 @ 11:44
    Nik

you be able to at least edit the web.config and remove the dll's to get the site starting again though kudo.

But, if you can reproduce the behaviour locally, then you can test the process to clean it up and push a clean version up to the git repo. This should, I think, trigger a new deployment updating your site with relevant fixes.

This is very much an I think situation as I've not tried it fully, it could go wrong, so please be cautious.

Oct 19, 2018 @ 11:46
    Ben Snape

That's the problem, there's no mention of uSync anywhere that I can see via kudu

• Jim Jensen 7 posts 103 karma points hq
    Oct 19, 2018 @ 12:02
    Jim Jensen

Hi Ben,

I am very sorry to hear that you are having this issue.

The plan that you currently are on is the Starter plan, it costs 25€/month and will obviously not include full support. That's what you will get on the next plan, the Pro plan. However we will do what we can to guide you through. I can see that my colleague Eric is doing his best to guide you through on how to solve the issue. It can be a bit tricky depending on the experience you have. So hang in there, and I am sure Eric will help you find the right solution :)

I highly recommend that you will attend one of the free Cloud webinars. It is a super great way to achieve knowledge and best-practice on how to work with Umbraco Cloud :)

Next webinar is already on Oct. 22 and you can sign up for free right here: https://umbraco.com/products/free-umbraco-webinars/

Oct 19, 2018 @ 12:06
    Ben Snape

Thanks for the help and suggestions guys. I'be fixed it. I just needed to delete the dlls from the bin folder via kudu.

Lesson learned!

• Jim Jensen 7 posts 103 karma points hq
    Oct 19, 2018 @ 12:07
    Jim Jensen

Wonderful Ben! #H5YR

Have a fantastic weekend.

Cheers!

• Kevin Jump 2310 posts 14695 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Oct 19, 2018 @ 12:53
    Kevin Jump

Hi,

Sorry about this uSync shouldn't actually run on cloud, it has a check in there to see if its on cloud and not startup if thats true.

obviously Thats not working anymore - the indicator for running on cloud might have changed - so i will reach out to the core team and see if we can get that fixed.

Oct 19, 2018 @ 12:54
    Ben Snape

Good idea....

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft