Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jonas Widenberg 21 posts 102 karma points
    Dec 11, 2018 @ 09:31
    Jonas Widenberg

Different local web.config for developers

Hi, We're building our first Umbraco project using Umbraco Cloud. Our initial approach was to have a shared database between the developers but now we've reached the point that it comes with to much problems, so now we think of switching to local database instances instead.

What is the best approach to handle developer specific web.configs?

Thanks!

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Dec 11, 2018 @ 09:46
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Jonas

If you want some values to be different in your web.config file on Umbraco Cloud depending on which environment you are on

Then you shold look into web.config transforms

https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Umbraco-Cloud/Set-Up/Config-Transforms/

Hope this helps

/Dennis

Dec 11, 2018 @ 10:27
    Jonas Widenberg

Hi Dennis, thanks for your reply.

I think I got the web.config transforms in Umbraco Cloud figured out already. The question is more regarding the local environment. Can I use transforms there as well in a smart way?

Developer 1 needs a unique connection string, Developer 2 needs a unique connection string and so on...

• Comment author was deleted

Dec 11, 2018 @ 10:33

Hey Jonas, if I remember correct you can also have a tranform file with the computer name, so each dev can have it's own connection string... (if computer names are unique)

Dec 11, 2018 @ 14:04
    Jonas Widenberg

Hi! But these transforms doesn't kick in until publish right? I would like it to be done on build.

For clarification. This is a standard umbraco cloud setup. An "old" website project and not a Web Application.

• Comment author was deleted

Dec 11, 2018 @ 14:07

hmm think these kick in on build... it used to work in the past but been a while since I've used them... so you basicly have a web.computername.config with the transform per dev

Dec 12, 2018 @ 13:28
    Jonas Widenberg

Can't get that to work unfortunately.

• Thomas 315 posts 602 karma points c-trib
    Feb 28, 2020 @ 09:05
    Thomas

Did you get this to work ?:)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft