Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kris Janssen 210 posts 569 karma points c-trib
    Jan 04, 2019 @ 15:07
    Kris Janssen

Migrating existing site to cloud project - pre-existing content on both?

Hi,

I am aware of the cloud migration guide but it doesn't exactly cover the situation I am in.

I have a single cloud project containing basically 'mom and dad' websites and two more which are currently separate instances running at a third party provider.

All are on the latest version of Umbraco, running the same package versions, in line with the cloud project.

Document types and all those things were originally developed on one of the non-cloud instances and over time migrated (by creating a package) to the other non-cloud and the cloud project.

Maintaining all this separately is a burden and I would like to move both non cloud sites to the cloud project.

This means both the non-cloud and cloud projects already contain content nodes.

My question: how can I migrate everything safely to the cloud? Will pointing a local clone of the cloud project to the non-cloud DB (as per the guide) not mess up my existing cloud content nodes?

Umbraco Cloud support was not very forthcoming with providing clear guidance other than 'follow the guide' unfortunately...

Any help would be appreciated.

• Søren Kottal 702 posts 4497 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Jan 05, 2019 @ 17:02
    Søren Kottal

Do I understand correct, that you want to bring an existing site (a) into your already existing Cloud site (b)?

So your cloud site will contain two sites? (Multi tenant)

If that is correct, then I would not follow the migration guide. That one is intended for moving an existing site into an empty cloud site.

Instead, I would probably create a package of all the content/doctypes/etc. on your existing site, and then install that in your cloud site.

That should work, but beware of name collisions, especially on doctypes, datatypes and templates.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft