Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• tobster 4 posts 74 karma points
    Jan 31, 2019 @ 15:56
    tobster

Block access to Live Environment website during development/testing phase

Hi All,

I'm using the starter plan of Umbraco Cloud which basically gives you ONE live environment. I also have a colleague developing. We are developing locally but to get content updates between each other during development, it forces us to deploy to the live and only environment (and we restore the content locally).

We don't really want things to be public facing at the moment and was looking if there was a way to stop people accessing the live website (I'm talking about the website itself here, not the backoffice). The whitelist option in the portal relates to the umbraco backoffice and not the actual website. Could rules be added in the web.config for example?

Any ideas?

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Feb 02, 2019 @ 08:24
    Dennis Aaen

Hi tobster

If you write to us in the chat for Umbraco Cloud then our service and support team will be able to help you with your requst on Monday from 8.00 CET

We are able to add the basic authentication to your live environment for at period of time

All the best

/Dennis

• Tor Langlo 189 posts 532 karma points
    Feb 11, 2019 @ 22:33
    Tor Langlo

Hi Dennis,

I faced this same challenge last year, and did indeed talk to the Cloud support via chat. They couldn't really help. I also posted a question on the subject here: https://our.umbraco.com/forum/umbraco-cloud/93666-controlling-access-to-umbraco-cloud-web-sites-during-initial-developmentlaunch-periods.

It's great to hear that it is possible to get basic authentication on the live env, but I'm hesitant to contact cloud support via chat again since that didn't work last time. It really should be a standard feature that we can enable/disable in the clould control dashboard.

We're still in development on our site, and have had to leave the live site alone for quite a while now (just using the dev env). I have unpublished the root pages on live to avoid anyone getting in there. We will probably have to deal with this again in the next month while getting ready to launch.

-Tor

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Feb 12, 2019 @ 15:44
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Tor,

I am apart of the Umbraco Cloud support team and we are able to help you by adding access to Live Environment website during the development/testing phase

So if you need this please let us know and we can set it up for you. perhaps this was not possible for us at that point in time.

It is right now :) so good news.

All the best,

/Dennis

• Tor Langlo 189 posts 532 karma points
    Feb 12, 2019 @ 18:07
    Tor Langlo

Ok, that's much appreciated, I'd like to set this up as soon as possible. Please let me know how to proceed! :)

-Tor

• John 3 posts 83 karma points
    Dec 24, 2021 @ 12:51
    John

Appreciate it's a long time since the last response but I came across this post when I was searching for exactly the same thing.

Just wanted to update the thread to say that there is a setting to do exactly this in the setting dropdown now.

screen shot of setting panel

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft