Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Robert Graham 22 posts 90 karma points
    Feb 26, 2019 @ 10:28
    Robert Graham

Azure Hosting Recommendations

Hi all,

I'm currently hosting some new sites on azure. Version 7.13.2

I've not been able to find a minimum recommended sql and app service tier for hosting Umbraco.

I realise that Umbraco cloud is more of the sales drive but like all good products I'm free to host on my own internal servers or indeed a suitable cloud platform.

Currently the performance is terrible - front is slow, back end is awful.

So my current setting are

Default0 (Standard: 1 Small) - app service plan Standard S0: 10 DTUs - for SQL

They are the lowest you can go but I have been running an ecommerce site, other marketing sites and some web services on these settings for a long time. New Umbraco is dying on this setting.

Any help greatly received

Thanks

Rob

• Alexander Croner 71 posts 282 karma points
    Feb 26, 2019 @ 12:28
    Alexander Croner

I'm running on S1 for the webapp and S0 for the SQL, and just a normal storage account for the files.

I'm getting very very short loading times, (even though startup from cold is a little slow), the site is really fast. Some more major actions in the backoffice is maybe a tad slower but not noticeable.

How big is the site? Where do you store the images? How is the code written? Etc.

Feb 26, 2019 @ 16:24
    Robert Graham

Hey Alexander - thanks so much for getting back to me - really appreciate it.

So the site(s) are tiny. Really simple.

In terms of coding I'm using USkinned themes and have not had any issues with the code in development at all.

I've not moved over to Blob/CDN storage yet - I will do that ASAP because it is good practice and pretty cheap.

What I had missed was the Always On feature. That has made a difference to the public facing performance - massive difference. The back end is still running slow.

Each page in the admin takes between 5 - 10 secs to load. Some save/publish events timeout completely.

Feels too slow to give to a client right now.

I'll keep digging and if I find anything out I'll get back to you.

Cheers

Rob

• Alexander Croner 71 posts 282 karma points
    Feb 27, 2019 @ 07:55
    Alexander Croner

Do you use modelbuilder or do you use PureLive? I'm getting alot slower loading times when I use PureLive.

Be sure to start using blob-storage, that will probably make the biggest difference...!

• Garðar Þorsteinsson 113 posts 534 karma points
    Feb 26, 2019 @ 18:11
    Garðar Þorsteinsson

Hi Alexander,

Good idea would be to track down what is taking so long to load.

Have you tried to use the Miniprofiler that is included in Umbraco ?

http://jondjones.com/learn-umbraco-cms/umbraco-developers-guide/umbraco-troubleshooting/how-to-debug-your-umbraco-7-website

Have you also gone through all these recommendations for Azure set up ?

https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/getting-started/setup/server-setup/azure-web-apps

They also tell you the minimum requirements there:

The minimum recommended Azure SQL Tier is "S2", however noticeable performance improvements are seen in higher Tiers

Feb 27, 2019 @ 10:26
    Robert Graham

Again - thanks for responses.

Alexander - I use Pure Live on this. Have used pre-compiled before with Umbraco and not noticed much of a difference. Something to think about for sure.

Garðar - Had a good look through that link and made the suggested changes to config etc. Holding off on the sql tier increase till I review hosting costs etc.

The mini profiler sound good - will investigate.

Last thing to do is the blob starage set up.

Cheers

Rob

• Francis Benyah 35 posts 111 karma points
    Apr 16, 2020 @ 11:01
    Francis Benyah

I know this is old but might help someone along the way.

I can confirm when we first moved to azure even a default installation would run really slow on the basic settings which is usually what you get when you want to evaluate azure on the free trial before making a commitment to it.

I experienced exactly the same thing, a newly installed site running smoothly when published into azure becomes slugish and this is purely just umbraco only no added doc types or template etc.

Initially I didn't think much of it and upgraded azure subscription to get the resources up so the recommended S2 for app service and 100 DTUs seemed to work on the standard package for MSSQL.

A few days later when I had some time, I signed up for second azure account on free tier to investigate the issue and this time I configured blob storage which I didn't do before and what a world of difference that made. We ended up scaling down again on the other account.

So I will suggest before you even touch the profiler, if you are not using azure blob storage set that up and instantly you will notice a world of difference.

At the moment our most intensive site with close on 100K nodes with content flowing in from various sources (api and manual world wide) creates about 140 on average new nodes a day and we run that perfectly fine on S2 foro both app service and SQL. We do bump up to P3 on app service and S4 on SQL briefly every month to do some reporting and then scale back again.

Thanks

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft