Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Luke Hook 45 posts 175 karma points c-trib
    Apr 15, 2019 @ 21:48
    Luke Hook

Cloudflare DNS Umbraco Cloud Hostname issue

Hi there,

Apologies in advance for my ignorance. I've got a new deployment running on Umbraco Cloud. All working as expected and well. Let's call it 'x.si.umbraco.io'

I want to attach my domain name to this Cloud site and ultimately force the 'www' version via redirects 'www.example.com' / 'example.com'

My DNS is handled through Cloudflare. Now I understand from the docs that Latch is unavailable in conjunction with Cloudflare. Not a problem as Cloudflare can provide me with an SSL.

The documentation is slightly unclear in terms of how this DNS is set up. I've added the following rules that I've interpreted from the docs.

• Type: A
    • Name: x.s1.umbraco.io
    • Value: 23.100.15.180

• Type: CNAME
    • Name: www
    • Value: x.s1.umbraco.io

• Type: CNAME
    • Name: example.com
    • Value: x.s1.umbraco.io

Now the Hostnames section in the Project portal is telling me that the two domains have DNS Misconfiguration.

If I disable Cloudflare (so they are just serving as DNS and not HTTP Proxy) the site works (noticeably with the Latch Bitdefender SSL).

If I enable Cloudflare (Orange cloud toggle in CF dashboard) the site claims to redirect too many times. There are no redirects in Cloudflare (I've disabled auto HTTPS) the ONLY redirects in place are they Latch HTTPS redirect that ships with Cloud config transform. It doesn't seem to matter what I do I cannot get the configuration to work.

My question is, are the above DNS records set up correctly? Should I be using CNAME instead of A record with the IP (there's a line in the docs that makes this unclear) and if so, has anybody got this working correctly using Cloudflare SSL and custom domain. Or have I missed something painfully obvious.

Thanks in advance

* UPDATE *

The portal is now telling me that I am protected by Latch however 'switching on' Cloudflare still causes me the same issues with regards to redirects etc.

• Luke Hook 45 posts 175 karma points c-trib
    Apr 17, 2019 @ 15:54
    Luke Hook

For anybody experiencing the same issue. Once Latch had verified the DNS I could simply switch the SSL in Cloudflare to Full (Strict) and all worked perfectly.

My issue was simply one of patience, damn propagating DNS records.

Thanks

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft