Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Gleb Kaplan 49 posts 125 karma points
    Apr 28, 2016 @ 08:55
    Gleb Kaplan

Allow to disable Courier version check

Hi

After recent addition of a feature to compare Courier and Umbraco versions upon deployment, I cannot longer upgrade my staging Umbraco first to test it before upgrading the production instance, because content team cannot deploy changes from staging to production. The staging and production are now have to be upgraded at the same time, which is too risky.

When upgrades are minor and do not actually prevent proper deployment, I need to be able to disable version check. This way I can allow new release to run on Staging for some time before push to production. In some instances I may even deploy only Courier binaries to production to ensure Courier compatibility, still Umbraco versions will be different.

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    May 09, 2016 @ 10:07
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Gleb,

For Courier to be able to sync content and meta data like template and document types between the environments the Umbraco version needs to be the same on all environments

The same goes for the Umbraco Courier version, this also need to be the same, on each environment.

Best,

/Dennis

• Gleb Kaplan 49 posts 125 karma points
    May 09, 2016 @ 12:45
    Gleb Kaplan

I understand this completely, however these checks have been added mostly for safety and to stabilise deployments by excluding potential issues caused by version incompatibility.

But it does not mean that Corier cannot deploy to the different version at all. For example if I set instantCompare=false in courier.config, then the version check is not performed. Actually I could use set instantCompare=false as a workaround, but unfortunately it affects user experience by deploying unnecessary big set of items on each deployment.

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    May 09, 2016 @ 13:11
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Gleb,

We will not recommend you to run to different different versions of Courier or Umbraco CMS. But if you would like to try.

Then I strongly recommend you to take a backup of your site and database so you can do a rollback in case something unexpected happens.

Best,

/Dennis

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft