Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Joshua Martyn 2 posts 72 karma points
    Apr 12, 2019 @ 20:52
    Joshua Martyn

Publish from a Standalone install to a Multisite

Hello.

We recently completed a project for a client to build out a site using Umbraco version 7.13.1. Once we completed the project, the client told us that it needs to be deployed to their multisite environment running Umbraco version 7.1.4. From what I have read, the right tool to use for this is Umbraco Courier that indicates that our standalone version is newer than the support version. Can you tell me if courier is the right tool for our needs? If it doesn't work, is there another way to do this?

Thanks in advance

-Josh

• Søren Gregersen 441 posts 1884 karma points MVP 2x c-trib
    Apr 12, 2019 @ 21:36
    Søren Gregersen

Hi,

If I understand you correct, you want to "install" a site, by just transferring it into an existing site?

Courier is used to push changes to a solution between different environments. That is, environments that have the solution installed.

If you push your site to an existing solution, there is a 99.9% change that it will break something. An example: Existing site has a Doc type called homepage with a property called "content" that contains an RTE. New site has "homepage" with "content" that is a grid. The new doctype will then overwrite the old, and break it.

To prevent this, all doctypes must be renamed to not have any name collisions. After you have done that, you need to make sure that all the code (views, controllers etc.) won't have the same issues.

That is more or less a full rewrite of the entire site.

What is normally done to actually make this work, is to build the "new site" on the existing site. This way you have control of the process and can figure out what can be shared and what should be custom.

We have a solution at work with 3 site types (main + campaign and departments). Two of them share umbraco environment, the third is in it's own. We use courrier seperately for each environment.

HTH

Apr 12, 2019 @ 23:27
    Søren Gregersen

btw .. 7.1.4 ? There are so many differences between that and 7.13.x

• Joshua Martyn 2 posts 72 karma points
    Apr 13, 2019 @ 00:17
    Joshua Martyn

Thank you for the response. However, I'm not tracking on how best to proceed. It sounds like naming issues are going to cause all kinds of issues. Is there another way to approach this? Should I just abandon using an automated tool like Courier and just rebuild all of the assets and content manually?

Thanks

Apr 13, 2019 @ 00:32
    Søren Gregersen

I would not suggest doing it no matter what :-)

But, you need to download the other project, merge your new project into it, test test test test test deploy and test tes test.

When all the testing is done, you can then you Courier to help you move from dev/test to live.

You can’t just move all your content and templates.

Just like you can’t just drop in a c# file in another (random) project and expect it to compile / run.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft