Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mark 4 posts 95 karma points
    Jul 01, 2016 @ 09:51
    Mark

Handling Workflow Failure

I've developed a custom workflow to submit form data to a third party system. This submission can either succeed or fail and in the event of a failure it is important to let the user know it has not succeeded. I notice on the workflow's Execute method I can set WorkflowExecutionStatus.Failed in the event that the third party system does not accept the data but there doesn't seem to be any obvious way to handle this failure.

Ideally what I'd like is to either redirect the user back to the form and pop an error message, or even redirect them to a different page than the page specified in the "On Submit" dialog.

Any ideas?

• Nick Frederiksen 18 posts 77 karma points
    Jul 08, 2016 @ 11:04
    Nick Frederiksen

Hi Mark,

I might have an idea. I haven't tried it myself but it might work for you.

You could try to subscribe to the "WorkflowFailed"-event:

Umbraco.Forms.Core.Services.WorkflowService.WorkflowFailed

This would fire whenever a workflow has failed.

I don't know whether or not you have access to the same HttpContext as the posted form from that event. I do know, however, that you do not have access to the record data from the event.

To subscribe to that event, I usually do it in the Global.asax file:

public class Global : UmbracoApplication
    {
        protected override void OnApplicationStarted(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            WorkflowService.WorkflowFailed += WorkflowService_WorkflowFailed;
            base.OnApplicationStarted(sender, e);
        }

private void WorkflowService_WorkflowFailed(object sender, Umbraco.Forms.Core.WorkflowEventArgs e)
        {
            // TODO: Handle error
        }
    }

Let me know if it works.

• Mark 4 posts 95 karma points
    Jul 08, 2016 @ 11:08
    Mark

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't aware of the workflow failed event! I've already got a workaround in place whereby I add some info to the session cache (form id, record id) if it fails, using a special "WorkflowErrored" key and then I've used route hijacking on the success page to check for this value and handle appropriately.

I will check out the workflow failed event for next time though!

Thanks, Mark

• Nick Frederiksen 18 posts 77 karma points
    Jul 08, 2016 @ 11:22
    Nick Frederiksen

Good to hear you found a workaround.

Please let me know if you try the event and if it helped.

• IBS 1 post 71 karma points
    May 31, 2018 @ 11:51
    IBS

For reference to anyone on Forms 7.0, we are just overwriting the e.Form.GoToPageOnSubmit in our workflow to redirect to a 'failed' page (as we still capture the data on error and insert it into a different table).

One caveat is that we have our workflow last in the list and have the workflows running synchronously.

• Mark Bowser 273 posts 860 karma points c-trib
    Apr 12, 2019 @ 20:29
    Mark Bowser

Any idea how to get e.Form.MessageOnSubmit work? I thought I had it working at one point, but I must be crazy because I can't seem to get any message I set on any workflow to override the message set on the default "Submit message / Go to page" workflow.

• RunnicFusion 62 posts 145 karma points
    Jul 15, 2020 @ 12:11
    RunnicFusion

Hi Mark,

Running in the same issue as you, did you solved the issue back then?

Also want to send back the messageOnSubmit / or InvalidErrorMessage to the user that submitted the form from workflow.

• Kristian Gansted 2 posts 72 karma points
    Sep 03, 2021 @ 11:44
    Kristian Gansted

A tad late but if anyone is still interested, the following works in Forms v7 (not tested in other versions).

Override the OnFormHandled method in UmbracoFormsController and make sure to set MessageOnSubmit in the view model as it is not updated in the standard implementation of UmbracoFormsController

public class MyUmbracoFormsController : Umbraco.Forms.Web.Controllers.UmbracoFormsController
    {
        protected override void OnFormHandled(Form form, FormViewModel model)
        {
            base.OnFormHandled(form, model);
            model.MessageOnSubmit = form.MessageOnSubmit;
        }
    }

Make sure to use this controller in your Form.cshtml or Render.cshtml depending on whether you use a custom theme or not.

• Jamie Attwood 201 posts 493 karma points c-trib
    Jul 24, 2020 @ 17:09
    Jamie Attwood

I am having the same issue as above. I am having users submit a Password or challenge phrase field. The password would be stored on the node that hosts the form in clear text. This is not by any means secure I know. When they submit a password that does not match the password on the node I want to send an error back to the client.... again, this is supposed to by a speedbump - not secure in any way...

How would I capture the workflow failed event in Umbraco 8?? I don't think that registering the event on application startup still works in 8 with Composers.... any sample code on that would be greatly appreciated.

AND what is the mechanism within that event that you could inject an error message back to the client? The documentation on this really falls short, seems like any custom workflow operation would need this capability on failure...

• Jamie Attwood 201 posts 493 karma points c-trib
    Jul 27, 2020 @ 13:41
    Jamie Attwood

While my case above is not directly related to Workflow, it was my initial go-to approach. So I am going to answer my own question out of frustration here in case others are left scratching their heads after reading the Umbraco Forms Extending... section. Examples are incomplete and vague. I'll say it again, if it's an Umbraco Pro product, it's got to be well documented. IMHO this would include approaches to extending forms (so people are not trying to extend incorrectly by making incorrect assumptions about what does what), and a case study sample with complete and downloadable code.

In my case, if you are needing to validate data from a form and return any sort of field level validation message, you will have to create your own custom field type. Workflow is not the place for that apparently - even though there is a way to read through the records and validate them - but not return field level messages. The easiest way to do this is to inherit from an existing field type and build on that. Of course (inject sarcasm), you would find the code sample for that on the "Adding a type" page here: https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Add-ons/umbracoforms/developer/extending/Adding-a-Type and not on the Adding a Field Type page here: https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Add-ons/umbracoforms/developer/extending/Adding-a-Fieldtype

Take the example from Per at the bottom of the page (https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Add-ons/umbracoforms/developer/extending/Adding-a-Type) and combine it with the methodology explained here: https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Add-ons/umbracoforms/developer/extending/Adding-a-Fieldtype

Once you then figure out all the obscure namespaces to include (which are frustratingly never included in the code samples), you should be good to go.

If you are interested. Here's my class to validate a password against a password setting when you create the form and include the custom password type (this is not in any way secure - it's a "vanity" password)

using System;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using System.Linq;
    using System.Web;

using Umbraco.Forms.Core.Providers.FieldTypes;
    using Umbraco.Forms.Core.Models;
    using Umbraco.Forms.Core.Data.Storage;

namespace WR.Classes
    {
        public class WRPassword : Password
        {
            // Added a new setting when we add our field to the form
            [Umbraco.Forms.Core.Attributes.Setting("WR Password",
            Description = "Please enter a password that you wish to protect the event with.",
            View = "Password")]
            public string WRPasswordVal { get; set; }

public WRPassword()
            {
                this.FieldTypeViewName = "FieldType.WRPassword.cshtml";

this.Name = "WR Event Password";
            }

public override IEnumerable<string> ValidateField(Form form, Field field, IEnumerable<object> postedValues, HttpContextBase context, IFormStorage formStorage)
            {
                var baseValidation = base.ValidateField(form, field, postedValues, context, formStorage);
                var value = postedValues.FirstOrDefault();

if (value != null && value.ToString().Trim() == WRPasswordVal)
                {
                    return baseValidation;
                }

var errors = new List<string>();
            errors.AddRange(baseValidation);
            errors.Add("Password is incorrect.");
            return errors;
            }
        }

}

In addition to this class, I took the base password field types found in Views\Partials\Forms\Fieldtypes\ and Views\Partials\Forms\Themes\default\FieldTypes\, copied and renamed them to "FieldType.WRPassword.cshtml"

Then finally you would again copy and rename the password field in this folder:App_Plugins\UmbracoForms\Backoffice\Common\FieldTypes\

Once this is done and compliled, you should see your custom field with validation appear as a field type... you can add in a fake password to the custom setting field when you set up that field in Umbraco forms and it will validate against that on submit.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Jamie

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft