Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Neil Hodges 338 posts 987 karma points
    Aug 15, 2017 @ 11:16
    Neil Hodges

Umbraco Forms and Hubspot recording form submissions

Hi

I have a client using a mixture on Umbraco Forms and normal forms using a Surface Controller.

The forms using a Surface Controller record the form submissions with no problem within HubSpot.

However they use a number of Umbraco Forms throughout the site and these forms are not being recorded by HubSpot.

Hubspot state if any javascript is binded to the form submission button it could potentially not record the form submission and their subsequent values.

There are a few other reasons why it would not record the form submission below:

• Form not enclosed in

tags Form contained inside an
    • Form has JavaScript bound to form submit event or submit button click event. This is how the tool captures submissions and any other events can prevent HubSpot from knowing when submissions occur

• Form was introduced after the page completed loading. The tool scans the page as soon as it loads and listens to submissions on forms that were present at that point.

• Form contained a sensitive field, such as credit card number.

Could any of the above cause HubSpot not to record the submission?

Has anyone used HubSpot to record Umbraco Forms form submissions.

• Tom van Enckevort 107 posts 429 karma points
    Aug 23, 2017 @ 07:07
    Tom van Enckevort

Are the reasons you mention above applicable to your site, or are they just suggested reasons on why it won't work?

I know for example that there is custom JS code that handles the form submission, so that could be a valid reason on why the Hubspot 'event' doesn't get triggered.

You will probably notice a file called umbracoforms.js that gets loaded on the page containing the Umbraco Form. In there there is a click event handler for the form submit button. It does call event.preventDefault() in there, so that could be a reason why Hubspot's JS (I assume?) does not get triggered.

Aug 23, 2017 @ 13:59
    Neil Hodges

Hi Tom

These are suggested reason from Hubspot as to why the form submission may not be recorded.

If there is custom trigger javascript code on the form submissions then I think this must be why the form submissions are not being recorded via Hubspot.

Other forms throughout the site that don't use Umbraco Forms but just use standard vanilla SurfaceControllers are recorded fine by Hubspot. So it has to be something akin to javascript being binded to the form submission.

I dont think there is any around it. The client likes the ability to generate form wysiwyg style and add to pages as they see fit. Creating the forms with standard forms and SurfaceControllers will take away that for them.

I assume removing the javascript from Umbraco Forms will cause unexpected results, not a road I want to go down as I think this will just cause head ache after head ache.

• Tom van Enckevort 107 posts 429 karma points
    Aug 23, 2017 @ 14:04
    Tom van Enckevort

Hi Neil,

Have you considered creating a custom workflow that can be executed when the Umbraco Form has been submitted, which then submits the form entry to Hubspot via their API?

Aug 23, 2017 @ 14:11
    Neil Hodges

Ah ha now that looks promising!!

This would still give them the ability to use Umbraco Forms and save me re-writing all the forms.

I shall look into it. Thank you!

• Paul Wright (suedeapple) 277 posts 704 karma points
    Aug 24, 2017 @ 08:52
    Paul Wright (suedeapple)

This is exactly what I did.

You can post the values via a workflow.

Easy to do, and more clean. Just requires a bit more work to set up

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft