Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Vasco Horta e Costa 18 posts 119 karma points
    May 25, 2018 @ 09:36
    Vasco Horta e Costa

Unable to get field values in email subject.

Hi guys,

I'm creating my first Umbraco Forms form and I can't get the field value to display on the email subject.

If I use the correct field alias the subject is empty.

enter image description here

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 25, 2018 @ 17:13
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Vasco and welcome to our :-)

That seems weird since the above at a first glance is looking right.

But something in the back of my mind tells me that it should probably be all lowecases so it reads [firstname] instead? I seem to weakly remember having itched my head over this a couple of months back.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers, Jan

May 28, 2018 @ 09:37
    Vasco Horta e Costa

Hi Jan,

Thank you for your response, but didn't work :(

We tried setting the alias to lower case as also and nothing. somehow we recognize the alias because if it misspelled he places the wrong name on the subject and if ok its just blank.

None of the fields that we configure in the workflow works, not even to send an email to the customer with the email that was submitted.

Could this be how we are calling the forms?

Html.RenderAction("RenderForm", "UmbracoForms", new { formId = new Guid("16830e09-f017-4ad3-b1c8-02bd6c4a0db1"), theme = "default", includeScripts = true });

We are using Umbraco 7.10.4 and Umbraco Forms 7.0.3

May 28, 2018 @ 10:02
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Vasco

Hmm, ok - Then I'm a bit lost. I think I need to setup an instance with forms 7.x myself in order to figure out if it's a bug or something in the way you're trying to do things. But don't think I can do that untill later this evening.

I'll keep you posted in here if no one else chimes in with some things to try out before then :)

Have a nice day.

May 28, 2018 @ 15:04
    Jan Skovgaard

Hello again Vasco

Turns out my memory is all wrong according to the documentation here https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Add-ons/UmbracoForms/Developer/Magic-Strings/#parsing-umbraco-form-field-items

The example provided there is using curly brackets so you should be able to do {FirstName} in your case.

Hope this helps! :-)

/Jan

May 28, 2018 @ 15:12
    Vasco Horta e Costa

Hi Jan,

Once again thank you.

That was our initial approach that didn't work.

May 28, 2018 @ 19:47
    Jan Skovgaard

Argh sorry! I read saw your initial post as square brackets [] rather than the curly ones! My bad...Will investigate on a clean install now then.

May 28, 2018 @ 20:12
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Vasco

Ok, seems that in the previous answers I have been causing a bit more confusion than what was the intention of course.

BUT! Now I gave it a quick spin and if only my eyes had worked in the first place I would have suggested you to lowercase the alias inside the curly brackets and then I'm 99.9991% certain that it would just have worked for you.

So try doing this {firstname} <-- This should work! So the key is to keep the alias in all lowercase and then it works. The documentation should of course be updated so it's a lot more clear. I'll see if I can manage to do a fix for that one. But I will not do it before you have confirmed that it now works for you :-)

I have attached 4 screendumps showing my process in chronological order.

Forms setup step 1 Forms setup step 2 Forms setup step 3 Forms setup step 4

I hope this helps!

Cheers, Jan

May 29, 2018 @ 10:19
    Vasco Horta e Costa

Hi Jan,

After banging my head a couple of hours because I was doing everything you said. I discovered a huge bug in this.

So is actually using the Label instead of the Alias.

Here is my field definition:

And here is the workflow that worked:

The outputed HTML also uses the Label to generate a CSS Class.

I guess its working in your case because the label and the alias are the same.

This means I cannot have multiple questions with the same label and using it in the workflow or styling it differently.

do you know how can I report this to Umbraco?

May 29, 2018 @ 10:44
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Vasco

Ah, yes that's confusing - I had not thought of that scenario before. Good discovery!

If you're a gold partner then you should have direct support access but can't remember what the case is if you buy single packages.

But I guess that you could always try to reach them at https://umbraco.com/contact-us/ filling out the contact form.

EDIT: For other who might come across this - Skip the above advice - I've been out of the game for too long and forgot all about the Issue Tracker for forms here: http://issues.umbraco.org/issues/CON

h5is

Cheers, Jan

May 29, 2018 @ 14:02
    Vasco Horta e Costa

Hi,

Jan thank you, its seems a bug was open in 2016 :|

http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/CON-1208#tab=Comments

This simply doesn't make sense, if we want to update a field name we have to change all the workflow properties were that field is used.

May 29, 2018 @ 14:07
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Vasco

Argh yes! Totally forgot about the tracker...unfortunately it's been a while since I've been active in the forum so this totally slipped my mind somehow. Shame on me :-)

Fingers crossed that HQ will notice your comment - But that of course does not help you here and now.

But isn't there any other way that you can solve your issue? Can you show a screendump of what your desired form setup looks like?

/Jan

• Heather Floyd 604 posts 1002 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Mar 14, 2019 @ 19:58
    Heather Floyd

This is still an issue in Forms version 7.0.6. The updated issue reference (on the newer GitHub tracker) is here: https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco.Forms.Issues/issues/35

Go upvote it, if this still bugs the heck out of you (as it does me).

• Giant Penguin 23 posts 112 karma points
    Aug 27, 2019 @ 05:54
    Giant Penguin

The issue is also there in Forms version 8.1.1

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft