Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• rmbl 6 posts 76 karma points
    May 29, 2018 @ 11:18
    rmbl

Cryptographic Operation Error wit Umbraco Forms

Hello,

we have migrated our website to the newest Version of Umbraco wit Umbraco Forms 6.0.2. Since the Update every Form gives us the Following Error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Error occurred during a cryptographic operation. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException: Error occurred during a cryptographic operation.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[CryptographicException: Error occurred during a cryptographic operation.] System.Web.Security.Cryptography.HomogenizingCryptoServiceWrapper.HomogenizeErrors(Func`2 func, Byte[] input) +172 System.Web.Security.FormsAuthentication.Decrypt(String encryptedTicket) +772 Umbraco.Core.StringExtensions.DecryptWithMachineKey(String value) +210 Umbraco.Web.Mvc.RenderRouteHandler.GetFormInfo(RequestContext requestContext) +466 Umbraco.Web.Mvc.RenderRouteHandler.GetHandlerForRoute(RequestContext requestContext, PublishedContentRequest publishedContentRequest) +67 System.Web.Routing.UrlRoutingModule.PostResolveRequestCache(HttpContextBase context) +11995005 Umbraco.Web.UmbracoModule.ProcessRequest(HttpContextBase httpContext) +520 System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +136 System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStepImpl(IExecutionStep step) +195 System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +88

I've found some Sugggestions with a MachineKey but in prior Versions we never did such things.

Is anybody having the same issue?

Tanks in advance!

• Andy Felton 185 posts 484 karma points c-trib
    May 29, 2018 @ 11:29
    Andy Felton

Hi Francesco,

Can you let us know which version of Forms you uploaded from and which version of Umbraco you're on?

Thanks Andy

May 29, 2018 @ 11:32
    rmbl

We have updated Umbraco from 6.X to 7.10.4. Umbraco Forms was always up to date and is currently at Version 6.0.2.

May 29, 2018 @ 11:45
    Andy Felton

Hi Francesco,

Whilst I haven't experienced this particular problem I know last year there was some changes around Machine Keys and encryption.

The suggestion for upgrading a site is to set useLegacyEncoding to true so this doesn't affect your site. Do note if you setLegacyEncoding to false please read Passwords and Machine Keys as this details some issues you may experience if you set a Machine Key.

Andy

May 29, 2018 @ 11:45
    Andy Felton

Forgot to say useLegacyEncoding can be found in the web.config.

May 29, 2018 @ 11:53
    rmbl

This one? I Have set both to true. But Forms like the Contact Form still return this error.

<membership defaultProvider="UmbracoMembershipProvider" userIsOnlineTimeWindow="15"> <providers> <clear /> <add name="UmbracoMembershipProvider" type="Umbraco.Web.Security.Providers.MembersMembershipProvider, Umbraco" minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="0" minRequiredPasswordLength="10" useLegacyEncoding="true" enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="false" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false" defaultMemberTypeAlias="Member" passwordFormat="Hashed" allowManuallyChangingPassword="false" /> <add name="UsersMembershipProvider" type="Umbraco.Web.Security.Providers.UsersMembershipProvider, Umbraco" minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="0" minRequiredPasswordLength="10" useLegacyEncoding="true" enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="false" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false" passwordFormat="Hashed" allowManuallyChangingPassword="false" /> </providers> </membership>

May 29, 2018 @ 12:10
    Andy Felton

Hi,

Yes that's the correct one, but unfortunately doesn't affect the forms module.

Is this happening on your live site, and by any chance are you on a load balanced environment?

May 29, 2018 @ 12:22
    rmbl

We have a F5 Loadbalancer/Firewall. But the same Error occures on "localhost" :/

May 29, 2018 @ 13:08
    Andy Felton

Hi,

Looks like you'll have to set a machine key having read the post I mentioned above about setting this and the issues it can cause.

HTH Andy

May 30, 2018 @ 12:46
    rmbl

I've added a machine key. This makes everything worse. Admin password is no longer usable etc. This is also mentioned in your link.

May 30, 2018 @ 14:55
    Andy Felton

Hi,

That is correct the admin password will be corrupted and need to be reset (I believe instructions are in the link I sent). I assume from you've said that this hasn't sorted the forms issue though?

That is a concern then and I'd suggest you revert the web.config to remove the machine key for now.

As forms is a closed product it may be one Umbraco headquarters need to help out with.

Thanks Andy

• Orbcom 10 posts 80 karma points notactivated
    Dec 11, 2019 @ 11:40
    Orbcom

Managed to solve this error cleaning the site cookies.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft