Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Daniel Cooper 6 posts 97 karma points
    Apr 03, 2019 @ 08:31
    Daniel Cooper

Umbraco Forms Error - The asynchronous action method 'Index' returns a Task, which cannot be executed synchronously

Hi

I'm getting the following error on a page using Umbraco forms.

[InvalidOperationException: The asynchronous action method 'Index' returns a Task, which cannot be executed synchronously.]
       System.Web.Mvc.Async.TaskAsyncActionDescriptor.Execute(ControllerContext controllerContext, IDictionary`2 parameters) +115
       System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethod(ControllerContext controllerContext, ActionDescriptor actionDescriptor, IDictionary`2 parameters) +27
       System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClass24_0.<InvokeActionMethodWithFilters>b__0() +55
       System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethodFilter(IActionFilter filter, ActionExecutingContext preContext, Func`1 continuation) +253
       System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClass24_1.<InvokeActionMethodWithFilters>b__2() +22
       System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethodFilter(IActionFilter filter, ActionExecutingContext preContext, Func`1 continuation) +253
       System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethodWithFilters(ControllerContext controllerContext, IList`1 filters, ActionDescriptor actionDescriptor, IDictionary`2 parameters) +190
       System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeAction(ControllerContext controllerContext, String actionName) +521
       System.Web.Mvc.Controller.ExecuteCore() +95
       System.Web.Mvc.ControllerBase.Execute(RequestContext requestContext) +180
       System.Web.Mvc.ControllerBase.System.Web.Mvc.IController.Execute(RequestContext requestContext) +10
       Umbraco.Web.Mvc.UmbracoPageResult.ExecuteControllerAction(ControllerContext context, IController controller) +75
       Umbraco.Web.Mvc.UmbracoPageResult.ExecuteResult(ControllerContext context) +297

I get it on submit of the form and, if I have multiple form pages, using the next button.

Not sure where to start really. Any ideas?

• Tony 105 posts 163 karma points
    Oct 21, 2019 @ 08:57
    Tony

Did you get anywhere with this? Im getting it when Im implementing custom validation on forms

• Martina R 9 posts 90 karma points
    Oct 21, 2019 @ 15:31
    Martina R

I'm having the same problem with a custom form (not umbraco forms).

From my understanding what is happening is that you cannot use an async [HttpGet] controller method if you want to use return CurrentUmbracoPage() as the latter is sync.

What you could do is transform the async GET method to a sync one but that would open another can of worms since awaiting async stuff inside a sync method is dangerous and can end up in deadlocks: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9343594/how-to-call-asynchronous-method-from-synchronous-method-in-c

I bypassed the problem altogheter using an ajax call avoiding the 'return CurrentUmbracoPage()'...

But I'm curious if there is a more idiomatic way to resolve the problem...

• Tony 105 posts 163 karma points
    Dec 04, 2019 @ 12:06
    Tony

Ive noticed there is a setting in the config to make the workflow calls async, havnt played with it yet though

<setting key="ExecuteWorkflowAsync" value="False"/>

https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Add-ons/umbracoforms/developer/Configuration/#executeworkflowasync

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft