Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andreas Jacobsen 9 posts 60 karma points
    Jun 09, 2023 @ 12:05
    Andreas Jacobsen

Easily set and get alt-text for images in Heartcore

We use allot of images, the majority of these images must have alt-text. I'm facing two issues with alt text, one is that the current way I have found to set alt text is too cumbersome. The other issue is that I cannot figure out how to get the alt text using GraphQL, I can get everything but the alt text currently.

Easily set alt text

We are currently using the standard Image Media Picker for images. This picker does not by default have alt-text. We added the ability to insert alt text from Settings -> Media Types -> Images -> Added alt-text text string type.

Now we have the technical capacity to add alt-text, but we were very suprised by just how cumbersome something so elemental for almost every single website that uses images in the world is.

To add alt-text we first have to upload the image, then go out of the image component, go to Media Library, find the image there (or open via link in the image) and then add the alt-text in media library.

On some of our pages we have 500+ images, this entire process then has to be repeated for all of these images. We hope that we have just misunderstood something and that it is actually easier to add alt text.

Another issue is that using this method each image can only have one alt text. But alt-texts are contextual, we may use the same image to convey different meanings on different pages. As such ideally we'd want to set alt text where an image is being used instead of in the media library. Using the current method we'd have to upload two versions of the exact same image and give them different alt texts. This is bad for umbraco as we use up more space than we really need and makes the CMS (media portion) more cluttered.

EDIT: This seems to only apply outside the rich text editor, which has the ability to set alt and caption in image.

Get alt text with GraphQL

We managed to get just about everything we need from images using GraphQL except alt-text. We are still new to GraphQL and probably do things in a silly way, but this also seems harder than it should be. Our current attempt looks something like this

ansatte{ // Employees
            ...on Ansatt { // Employee
              id,
              fornavn, // Name

grafikkPortrett {    // Image element 
                url,
                // NO ALT TEXTR HERE, NO ALT ALT IN CHILDREN OR ANCESTORS EITHER
                  }
                }

}
            }
          }

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jun 10, 2023 @ 06:38
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Andreas

I'm afraid you're not wrong - It is cumbersome to work with alt texts for images in Umbraco currently.

Your approach of extending the Image type is correct but unfortunately I don't know how one would fetch the value using GraphQL since I've yet to dip my toes with Heartcore.

I wanted to chip in regarding the contextual part - I think my take would be to have a textfield for the alt text below the image picker so that you can have a "standard alt text" on the image itself but when you select images you have the ability to override it on a contextual basis where it's selected rather than having to duplicate items.

Having the field for alternate texts on image types baked right into Umbraco is a big wish from me too and I'm trying to change this together with the rest of the Accessibility Team that helps Umbraco HQ making the CMS more accessible but as you have experienced there is still some way to go.

I hope other good people see this post as well and that they're able to help you figure out how to get hold of the alt text using GraphQL 🤞

/Jan

• prashant 5 posts 45 karma points
    Jun 12, 2023 @ 06:59
    prashant

you can access altText property into image from media section in graphql like images{

url
                                        media{
                                            name
                                              mediaTypeAlias
                                        ... on Image{
                                            altText
                                        }

• Andreas Jacobsen 9 posts 60 karma points
    Jun 19, 2023 @ 12:11
    Andreas Jacobsen

Thank you for all the replies! We ended up not using the umbraco alt-text attribute for images, instead opting for just adding a text string bellow the image with an alt text.

This is less elegant but solves our "alt texts are contextual" issue.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft