Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Aug 21, 2010 @ 21:15
    Douglas Robar

Suggestion: Also list datatypes and their use

I recently had to upgrade a site from Umbraco 4.0.x to 4.5.x. Because there are numerous datatypes that are not (yet) compatible with 4.5 I spent a long time looking at the installed packages, the datatypes, and doctypes to see where those datatypes were used.

I've wanted to do this every time I've upgraded a site, and also when documenting what is custom about a particular site implementation.

As part of the standard reports, a list of datatypes and where they are used would be helpful. Especially if it flagged those datatypes that are not part of the umbraco core since they are the ones most likely to be "interesting" to people using Concierge.

As a double-check to my manual checking (I probably should have started here), I looked at the cmsDataType table, and then looked to see if any of the non-standard datatype id's were in the cmsPropertyType table.

Since not everyone has access to the database this would be a very helpful addition to Concierge's reporting.

Thanks for your consideration.

cheers,
    doug.

• Hendy Racher 863 posts 3849 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Aug 21, 2010 @ 21:41
    Hendy Racher

Hi Doug,

Would this SQL snippet be of any use ?

/* return all doctypes that use a given datatype Id  */

DECLARE @dataTypeId AS INT
    SET @dataTypeId = 1350

SELECT DISTINCT(B.alias)
    FROM cmsPropertyType A
    INNER JOIN cmsContentType B ON A.contentTypeId = B.nodeId
    WHERE A.dataTypeId = @dataTypeId
    ORDER BY alias ASC
  • Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Aug 21, 2010 @ 21:47
    Douglas Robar

Hendy, you're a rock star. That should work nicely. Though if it did the reverse lookup by dataTypeId to the name of the datatype -- and also the property alias(s) and docType(s) on which it is used -- would be ideal. That's why I thought it best to be part of Concierge (which I really like, just wish it were free so everyone would use it!).

cheers,
    doug.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft