Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Greg Berlin 818 posts 634 karma points
    Jul 26, 2010 @ 13:29
    Greg Berlin

Cant save after 27 Form Items in Trial..

My client has started building a form on a trial version... he managed to add 27 items to the form, but now is stuck.

I've verified that its just not saving beyond the 27 items. If i remove one, i can add and save one, but adding a 28th item just won't take.

Is there some sort of limit on the number of fields of the trial version?  The only error we get is a balloon that says "Failed to Save Form" with a red cross in it.  No event log error. Nothing else i can tell. If i refresh the form, the new field is no longer ther, so the form is not actually saving.

We're using the trial version as its on a staging domain at the moment... as soon as the site is live we'll purchase a license. I just wanted my client to be able to start building this form before we launch, which was good until we hit this snag.

Any suggestions?

Thanks heaps... great product btw - would be even better when its working properly :)

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10091 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jul 26, 2010 @ 16:50
    Ismail Mayat

Greg, 

Is the form multistep or one page only? If not multi step see if making multistep helps.

Regards

Ismail

Jul 27, 2010 @ 02:27
    Greg Berlin

Nope, no difference....  It's currently one step only... added another step, same issue.

Furthermore, deleting a record from step 1, and then adding a new step and a new record still doesn't save the form.

Deleted 2 records, added new step and item... still no go.  

There's something seriously wrong here... i have no idea how to troubleshoot it.  Will i get better support if i buy a license?

• Comment author was deleted

Jul 27, 2010 @ 09:04

Hi Greg,

There shouldn't be a limit on the number of fields.

Would it be possible to get some details on the form? I can then try to reproduce the error.

Thanks,
    Tim

Jul 27, 2010 @ 09:08
    Greg Berlin

hey Tim,

I can give you access to the site if you like.  Shoot me an email on reg at berlinit [dot] com and i'll send u login details.  

do you require access to any more than courier section?  

Thanks heaps

greg

Jul 27, 2010 @ 09:19

Perfect!

Jul 27, 2010 @ 09:30
    Greg Berlin

Actually I've just noticed some logs in the event log... 

umbracoForms:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at UmbracoContour.Webservices.Designer.SaveWithoutSettings(String guid, String design) in d:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\f25907cf379d8816\Umbraco.Forms.UI\Webservices\Designer.asmx.cs:line 146

Its strange cos they weren't there yesterday when i was trying and failing.  anyway, that should help...

Jul 27, 2010 @ 09:41

Looks like the error occuring is:

Error during serialization or deserialization using the JSON JavaScriptSerializer. The length of the string exceeds the value set on the maxJsonLength property

Can be fixed by updating the web.config

<system.web.extensions> 
    <scripting> 
    <webServices> 
    <jsonSerialization maxJsonLength="2147483644"></jsonSerialization> 
    </webServices> 
    </scripting> 
    </system.web.extensions> 

Jul 27, 2010 @ 09:51
    Greg Berlin

Genius!  That certainly did fix it.. thanks heaps Tim!

How did you discover that was the error, if you don't mind me asking?

Jul 27, 2010 @ 09:56

Hi Greg, just by monitoring with firebug what happens when the save button got hit

Jul 27, 2010 @ 09:59
    Greg Berlin

good thinking.. i only thought to do that after you posted the answer... and had a quick look but couldn't really see anything. 

Thanks again - great work! :)
    greg

• Johan Roug 97 posts 153 karma points
    Sep 02, 2010 @ 14:50
    Johan Roug

Also helped me. Thanks Tim

• Janet Kirklen 102 posts 212 karma points
    Oct 02, 2012 @ 18:22
    Janet Kirklen

I had this same issue on a long form.  After 32 fields and on the 4th step I started getting the "Cannot save form" error.  I did not have an entry in my web.config for the jsonSerialization maxJsonLenghth setting.  I added this to my web.config and now the form is saving properly. 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft