Nov 05, 2010 @ 11:17
    tla

Save/Edit form fails - System.InvalidOperationException

Hello all,

The basics:

Umbraco v 4.5.1

Contour v. 1.0 (I think).

The problem:

When I try to create a contact/comment form, the form is added to the Forms node. But when I click the save button, I get the 'Failed to save form' message.

Digging around a bit with Firebug got me the following error message returned :

Exceptiontype: "System.InvalidOperationException"

Message: "Invalid web service call, missing value for parameter: 'nodeid'."

StackTrace: " at System.Web.Script.Services.WebServiceMethodData.CallMethod(Object target, IDictionary`2 parameters)\r\n at System.Web.Script.Services.RestHandler.InvokeMethod(HttpContext context, WebServiceMethodData methodData, IDictionary`2 rawParams)\r\n at System.Web.Script.Services.RestHandler.ExecuteWebServiceCall(HttpContext context, WebServiceMethodData methodData)"

So, it would appear that the form never manages to grab the id of the node being edited. I am, however, able to delete the form when rightclicking on it on the content tree. How can I solve this problem?

The site is running on a server which I only have FTP access to and no access to the database (it is hosted by another company) so I'm limited to the umbraco backoffice and FTPing files up/down (I may be able to get a backup of the database).

Thank you in advance.

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Nov 05, 2010 @ 11:51
    Tim

Hiya,

You can check the Contour version by going into the developer section, opening "packages" then "installed packages". If you click on the "Umbraco Contour" node, it should tell you which version is installed.

Has the contour ever worked, or is it something that you've only just installed?

Cheers,

Tim.

• tla 35 posts 71 karma points
    Nov 05, 2010 @ 12:12
    tla

Hey Tim,

It was never installed as a package (nothing shown under installed packages). It was partially installed by the previous developer so the database tables were created, dashboard was in place and the output was correct. However, selecting a form showed a blank page so I had to copy files from the installation guide by Per Ploug and update config files etc.

Its not pretty but it was what worked at the time and was done last-minute.

Nov 05, 2010 @ 12:41
    Tim

Its possible that its either corrupted or missing some important files? Are you able to install packages on the server (ie do you have the correct server permissions)?

You could try and install the package through the developer section (although that may cause more problems, be VERY careful before trying that, you don't want to completely kill the install).

Alternatively you could also try upgrading to the latest version of Contour (v1.1.3) using the upgrade instructions, that might fix it.

If you're able to take a copy of the site and its DB, you could set it up locally and try the above methods to test first so you can see if it works ok before trying it on the live site!

Nov 05, 2010 @ 12:44
    tla

Yeah I may need to try that, thanks Tim

Nov 10, 2010 @ 09:41
    tla

So I got the db backup and grabbed the website files and set up a copy of the site. I copied the contour files onto the test site and lo and behold, contour worked. So I copied the same files onto the production server (which I had done two times already by then) and now everything worked. This left me scrating my head but things work so I can't complain.

Nov 10, 2010 @ 09:49
    Tim

Awesome! Glad you got it working.

:)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft